The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

fitting coilovers

fitting coilovers

by ernie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:32 pm
Hi all (although this post is probably aimed more at Maddison & 8Bus !!)..

So, eventually got my coilovers through the post..

Tried them on this morning & the spring catches on the rear 2 bolts holding the front beam on, mainly the lower bolt.

So, I take it that is the reason for needing to fit the Red9 top mounts, to bring the top of the coilover back far enough for the spring to clear the lower rear beam mounting bolt?

I have a 2" narrowed beam & the top shock mounts look like this..

Few questions,..

(1) Will the Red9 top mount fit my beam,
(2) How far does the red9 top mount bring the mounting point over - reckon I need about 3".
(3) Alternatively, I could possibly get away with using just the bottom rear beam mounting bolt with no washers - reckon that would just give me clearance but do you reckon that would be ok?
(4) - may be being real stupid here, but with the coilovers off the bus, the spring just pi$$es about in the wind and the top 'saucer' (sorry, don't know the correct name!) that holds the top of the spring in is free to move about - I assume with the weight of the bus the springs compress & the top of the springs will sit tight inside this 'saucer' . But what about when the suspension is on rebound - would the shock extend enough to allow that saucer to move if the spring reaches the end of its travel?

Thanks.
ernie

Re: fitting coilovers

by JonnyCJ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:26 pm
The top and bottom shock mounts should be in line with each other therefore bringing out the top mount would mean that the bottom mount would need the same amount of movement to keep them on the same plane ?
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 pm
(1) Will the Red9 top mount fit my beam,
Doesn't look like a standard beam, so I'm not sure. Happy if you want to come over to mine and try the ones I have?

(2) How far does the red9 top mount bring the mounting point over - reckon I need about 3".
Again not sure but enough movement on a standard beam to fit this shocks.

(3) Alternatively, I could possibly get away with using just the bottom rear beam mounting bolt with no washers - reckon that would just give me clearance but do you reckon that would be ok?
I've got no washers on mine and it's been fine for 15,000 miles.

(4) - may be being real stupid here, but with the coilovers off the bus, the spring just pi$$es about in the wind and the top 'saucer' (sorry, don't know the correct name!) that holds the top of the spring in is free to move about - I assume with the weight of the bus the springs compress & the top of the springs will sit tight inside this 'saucer' . But what about when the suspension is on rebound - would the shock extend enough to allow that saucer to move if the spring reaches the end of its travel?
Same as mine and no if it's rebounding that far you're going too fast or you've ordered the wrong coilovers.......

Thanks.[/quote]
8 8US
SSVC Member

by ernie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:03 am
Thanks for the replies guys..

Richard - I wouldn't expect you to go to all the trouble of taking the top mounts off yours to try them on mine, but many thanks for the offer.

if you do get chance though, I would be grateful if you could try and measure the distance between the original shock mount and the extended shock mount using the red9 bracket.

In the meantime though, think i'll take the rear 2 beam mounting bolts off & offer up the coilover up to measure how much space iv'e got between the spring & the beam - if I can get away with just the bolts and no washers, that may provide a solution.

Thanks again mate.

Ade.
ernie

by maddison » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 am
red9 top mount won't fit on that beam i'm afraid

….but it wouldn't be rocket science to 'create something to active the same result, when I was running a home made -4' beam I needed to relocate my air dampers, so cut some 10mm steel plate in an L shape, with 3 holes, 1 going through one of the beam mount bolts, one through the old top mount and one for the new top mount……worked a treat, but looked shocking as I used an angle grinder to cut the steel plate LOL
this was actually really over the top compared to the simple red9 design….but yeah, not difficult to make something, but if removing the washer works, just do that, it'll be fine and won't cause any issue at all, this its fairly safe to say you could totally remove the bolt and it wouldn't actually be a problem if the other 3 are fitted tight (but i didn't suggest that of course ;-)

the slack you have with your spring……just wind the adjusters up the thread until you don't have any slack, use this as your starting point, you can then wind it further up …or down….once on the bus ;-)
maddison
SSVC Member

by ernie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:12 pm
thanx Maddison - very helpful, as usual!

Gonna whip a bolt out to see how much i've got to play with then refit accordingly.
ernie

by ernie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:16 pm
Eventually got these fitted this afternoon.

No real dramas. Managed to get them to fit with my 2 inch narrowed beam by fitting the bottom rear bolt with no washers and the top rear bolt with just a spring washer. Got a few mm of clearance between the spring and bolt head so happy with that.

Wound the bottom ring up until there is just a bit of tension in the spring and reckon that's pulled the bus up about half an inch.

Gonna leave the suspension to settle for a few days but reckon I may have to wind it up a bit more as don't think the spring is doing a lot although the ride height is spot on at the moment.

Couple of tiny concerns...when u Jack the bus up the shock is stopping the wheels drop down the full way..I.e. the piston of the coilover is at the extent of its travel and the weight of the suspension is trying to pull it further.

Also, when bus is, jacked up, the spring comes out of the top washer so when u lower the, bus down u have to make sure the spring is located in the top washer.

Don't think either is a real issue.
ernie

by e m p i » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:50 pm
ernie wrote: Also, when bus is, jacked up, the spring comes out of the top washer so when u lower the, bus down u have to make sure the spring is located in the top washer.

Don't think either is a real issue.
It will be if you get your fingers caught :lol: :lol: :lol:
e m p i

by maddison » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:38 am
you could fit some helper springs to combat this….i wouldn't, but the MOT man 'may' take a dislike to this …if he did, then helper springs and spacer would be needed…or, some slightly longer springs, what length spring did you go for in the end…and how big is the gap when raised
maddison
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:08 am
Ade - can you ping over a piccy of the fronts, showing the clearance of the spring to the beam (if there is any !)
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by ernie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 am
Will try & get some photos & measurements today guys.
ernie