The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Erratic speedo dial

Erratic speedo dial

by skipps » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 pm
Hi all my speedo pointer has started to go all funny it's very erattic from about 30 mph to about 60 mph its at its worst, I have disconnected it from the speedo all feels fine and checked the front near side wheel found the split pln almost broken so replaced it, put cable back into speedo Went for a drive still no better , so before I get a new cable any ldea's
Cheers skipps
skipps
SSVC Member

Re: Erratic speedo dial

by PeterJ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 am
Hi,
You probably would have noticed already but just in case...
Is the square hole in the grease cap or the square end of the cable rounded off a bit? If either of these, the cable may not be being driven properly especially as the speed increases. A simple and cheap way to check this is to fasten the end of the cable onto the grease cap with a piece of gaffer or similar strong tape.

Hope this helps.
Peter
PeterJ
SSVC Member

by skipps » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:30 pm
Hi Pete
well took the van for it's MOT today and the speedo was doing it's dance all the way there, passed it's MOT with no advisories :D, on the way back home noticed the speedo was back to normal no more dancing so what ever they done when checking under the front end must of corrected the problem and I never mentioned the problem to the tester
When I did get home I checked the cable and the grease cap hole, no wear on the square hole just a bit of play on the cable so I did stick some duck tape on the cap
Thanks for the tip ....Dave (skipps)
skipps
SSVC Member

by Manzo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 pm
I had this for a little while then the cable snapped completely. Possibly it's fraying at some point inside the casing and catching, causing it to read erratically. Looks like yours may be on the way out
Manzo

by james309 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm
Normally a worn cable just about to snap.

James
james309
SSVC Member