The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Towbar

Towbar

by Iroc-2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 am
Hi, looking at fitting an Autocraft towbar to my splitty.I like think that I will need the attachable one that fits over the top of the bumper, as my van has been lowered. Any advice on this subject would be gratefully appreciated. Fitting for example.

cheers
Iroc-2
SSVC Member

Re: Towbar

by etiennevert » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:25 pm
Ive just fitted one - cracking bit of kit and easy to install. My bus is lowered a couple of splines at the rear and i just went for the standard (non swan neck) under bumper tow ball set up. Mainly cos it was the cheapest option but also figured i could change it if needed.

I have had no problems with it being too low... only ground coming out of my drive which is stupidly steep. Towed a dandy tent nice and level no problem. Think the ball is approx 35 cm from the floor... can check if it helps.

Knowing that it works i kind of wish id gone for the swan neck as it looks a bit more proper.
etiennevert
SSVC Member

by type21f » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:37 pm
etiennevert wrote:Ive just fitted one - cracking bit of kit and easy to install. My bus is lowered a couple of splines at the rear and i just went for the standard (non swan neck) under bumper tow ball set up. Mainly cos it was the cheapest option but also figured i could change it if needed.

I have had no problems with it being too low... only ground coming out of my drive which is stupidly steep. Towed a dandy tent nice and level no problem. Think the ball is approx 35 cm from the floor... can check if it helps.

Knowing that it works i kind of wish id gone for the swan neck as it looks a bit more proper.
If you look on the site the fitting instructions are on the details page as .PDF files.
I am STOCK height with removable..great piece of kit excellent..

viewtopic.php?t=78497&start=30

G
type21f
SSVC Member

by Iroc-2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:36 pm
Just measured the floor to the bottom of my bumper, it's 7.5 inches Will I need a swan neck or standard ball
Iroc-2
SSVC Member

by etiennevert » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 pm
Thats about the same height as mine to bottom of bumper. Like i say mine is the fixed plate and the top of the tow ball is 35 cm from floor. I think the swan neck would sit at same height with same clearance underneath.

I seem to recall that there are guidelines/specifications about minimum ball height and 35/36 cm was as low as is advised iirc.

From my experience i havent had any problems with the height but i wouldnt want it any lower. My dandy tent sits level with the van when all hitched up. The removable plate was going to be my plan b if current set up was too low.

Hope this helps
etiennevert
SSVC Member

by skipps » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:21 pm
Hi me and my brother have both fitted the autocraft tow bars I have the detachable swan neck and he opted for over the top, But my brother has since changed to the same as mine because he was concerned that if you have a big problem like an engine fire or engine problem you can not open your engine lid with out first unhitching your tow then detaching the tow bar all very valuable time, hope this helps you on your final choice .... skipps
skipps
SSVC Member

by type21f » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am
skipps wrote:Hi me and my brother have both fitted the autocraft tow bars I have the detachable swan neck and he opted for over the top, But my brother has since changed to the same as mine because he was concerned that if you have a big problem like an engine fire or engine problem you can not open your engine lid with out first unhitching your tow then detaching the tow bar all very valuable time, hope this helps you on your final choice .... skipps
^^^^ Very good point.

I have the detachable one and thus when not towing this would have no issue of distance to floor.
Maybe that will swing your choice.
Only low when you tow.
Dave says he needs a Step ladder to get in my stock bus..

My Fire truck is 2" over stock..
Gives me nose bleeds.
G
type21f
SSVC Member

by Iroc-2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:15 am
Thanks for all your help on the subject, much appreciated.
Iroc-2
SSVC Member

by BeetleBus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am
Iroc-2 wrote:Hi, looking at fitting an Autocraft towbar to my splitty.I like think that I will need the attachable one that fits over the top of the bumper, as my van has been lowered. Any advice on this subject would be gratefully appreciated. Fitting for example.

cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeetleBus
SSVC Member

by Iroc-2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 am
Anyone got any pictures of the ride height when towing their puck. Want to get it as level as possible. Seen one at Busfest and the towbar was way to high, tipping the puck backwards.
Iroc-2
SSVC Member

by Claushema » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm
something like this? Stock height/Autocraft swan neck.
Claushema
SSVC Member

by Kevin Sharpe » Thu May 07, 2020 11:51 am
Can anyone comment on the legality of fitting a towbar on a split in the UK? We're doing some TV filming which features towing and I don't want to give anyone a stick to beat us with :roll:

Many thanks!
Kevin Sharpe