The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Require Coloured Wire key for Wolfsburg West Indicator Switch with dim/dip 8/65-67

Require Coloured Wire key for Wolfsburg West Indicator Switch with dim/dip 8/65-67

by R32GUY » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:55 pm
HI fellow SSVC members..

I recently had a bit of an electrical issue - and witnessed a bit of a loom fire (thankfully I witnessed it) - The issue was it appears my stalk mounted dim/dip switch and indicator circuit was shorting out on something or together. - I tried to repair the burnt wires - but couldn't get my stalk mounted dim dip to work.

Our bus is a 1966 Australian import microbus..

Anyway I decided to purchase one of these Wolfsburg West replacements from Alan Schofields at Slough Swap Meet, trouble trouble is no-one appears to have published a wiring diagram that match the number of cables I have. - The chaps on the stall suggested I look on the Samba or follow existing diagrams

Complete Indicator switch 8/65-67 with built in dipswitch. 8 wires as per US specification, but also works fine on european buses (please call for wiring details in this case)
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 3513F.html

The chap I bought it from on Sunday suggested I check out the Samba and http://www.type2.com -but I'm struggling to make a correlation to what I have one my stalk, I tried to call Schofields today and there was no answer..

So wondered if any of you guys had any suggestions or help to offer?
R32GUY
SSVC Member

Re: Require Coloured Wire key for Wolfsburg West Indicator Switch with dim/dip 8/65-67

by R32GUY » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:57 pm
Here are some pictures of the stalk / loom

What is really confusing is it has 9 connectors on it not 8

Two thinner 0.5mm wires towards the top of the loom

Blue
Brown

Then the following coloured wires:

Black/red
Black/green/white
Black/yellow
Brown
Black/Purple
BLack/White
BLack/Green

The details from this similar thread : viewtopic.php?t=72841
States the following -
1. Black with a white trace (controls front left indicator function)
2. Black with a yellow trace (controls left rear taillight)
3. Black with a green trace (controls front right indicator function)
4. Black with a red trace (controls right rear taillight function)
5. Black with a purple trace (input from brake light switch, the wire coming from your brake light switch is typically black/red)
6. Long black (input to turn signal flasher relay.To terminal 87b if using 4-way emergency flash system. If not equipped with 4-way emergency flash system, connect to Terminal 54 of original turn signal flasher or 49a if using a replacement turn signal flasher.)

Are these similar - and what do the thin blue and brown wires and thick brown wire do? - Presume the Black/Green/White wire must have something to do with the dim/dip circuit as well?

Thanks in advance for any assistance... I've sent an email to Wolfsburg West to see if they can help.... Coupled with this job I'm also considering wiring in a hazard switch that our bus didn't have when we bought it.
R32GUY
SSVC Member

Re: Require Coloured Wire key for Wolfsburg West Indicator Switch with dim/dip 8/65-67

by whathaveigoneanddone » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:39 am
I have exactly the same question, what are all these wires for? Especially the blue and the brown....I'm looking at this utterly perplexed and can't understand why it didn't come with any form of guide! Help appreciated
whathaveigoneanddone

by rodntod » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am
Is your bus fitted with separate indicators and tail lights at the rear?
rodntod

by whathaveigoneanddone » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm
No, they are an integrated unit.
whathaveigoneanddone

by rodntod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 am
Sorry what i meant was,do you have orange indicators or us spec lights at the rear?
rodntod

by whathaveigoneanddone » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 am
Ah ok, sorry - no it's orange indicators
whathaveigoneanddone

by rodntod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am
Cool, then you are only going to use 3 of the wires for the indicators.
Black/white-front left ind.
Black/green-front right ind.
Black/green/white-common wire for ind(this will go to a relay/flasher unit along with a switched live and an earth)
Thinner blue wire -to ind telltale on the speedo
Thinner brown wire should be an earth wire
You can disregard the blk/red, blk/purp,blk yell as these are only used with us spec indicators and combined tail lights.
rodntod

by whathaveigoneanddone » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 am
Thank you so much, I literally had no idea (like most things!) - thanks again
whathaveigoneanddone

by rodntod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:52 am
No worries, I was there once myself.

Ed
rodntod

by skipps » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm
All sorted no help required 8)
Hi just found this thread as I'm just about to change my 67 ind stalk found your wiring instructions very handy but not quite understanding the switched live and earth bit are they already there, as there is only the thick brown wire that i'm not sure where this would go !! look forward to any help as this post is nearly 3yrs old
Skipps
skipps
SSVC Member