The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

IGNITION BARREL REPLACEMENT

IGNITION BARREL REPLACEMENT

by johnnylongtime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:24 pm
Hi

As of late I am having issues starting my bus ('63 Westy). I am pretty sure it is to do with the ignition barrel & key. Sometimes it is easy to start other times no matter how much I wiggle the key I can not get the final click with the key to start my bus. This has been getting progressively worse and I am now reluctant to take the bus out on fear of getting stranded.
I have purchased a new barrel & keys, think they came from JK but Custom & Commercial, Heritage etc all seem to sell the same product. I am after some advice if any of you have performed this swap with a new barrel supplied by one of the previously mentioned suppliers.

(A) Does the barrel actually fit?
(B) what tools required?
(C) Any handy tips?

I ask this as the bus is stored a few miles from my home address and I dont want to get caught without a tool or part.

Hope some of the friendly folk on here can point me in the right direction.

Cheers Johnny
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member

Re: IGNITION BARREL REPLACEMENT

by richandsue » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:27 pm
The switch is held in with a single screw/bolt, its either underneath or at the back. cant remember offhand. The repo ones fit quite well. Or are you talking about changing the actual innards of the barrel. not been down that road.so cant comment on that. :cheers:
richandsue
SSVC Member

by johnnylongtime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:32 pm
Thanks richandsue, looking to change the whole unit unless the repro barrel can be fitted in the factory housing.
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am
As Rich says, it's one screw and a wiggle it'll be out, swop the wires over and you're away. Unfortunately you can't swap the innards and keep the same key, unless you bought the most expensive one.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by johnnylongtime » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm
Thanks guys,
Just to clarify my bus is fitted with factory fitted steering lock, will I still be able to use this function with the barrel I have purchased?

Regards
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member

by jayvanman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 am
johnnylongtime wrote:Thanks guys,
Just to clarify my bus is fitted with factory fitted steering lock, will I still be able to use this function with the barrel I have purchased?

Regards
Hi Johnny.

I don't know about the steering lock bit.

Having changed all my electrics I can tell you this is a bit fiddly.

To help yourself I would recommend printing off the electric wiring diagram from thesamba.com

I would also say that you find it a lot easier without the underdash tray and "knee knocker" in the way and these are held in place by either screws or bolts, size depends if some one has done the job before and fitted a mystery size or screw - take sockets, extension, spanners, screwdrivers, pliers and some fine wet n dry to clean the terminals(they probably haven't been cleaned for 50 years so it wouldn't hurt eh )

Other than that take a Thermos of coffee and a sandwich and enjoy the time getting to know a new bit of your camper.

Jason
jayvanman

by BJ1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 am
johnnylongtime wrote:Thanks guys,

Regards
OK - this thread is getting a bit confusing. Firstly you don't need a new barrel - just the switch at the rear of the barrel. Just remove the whole barrel/switch unit (easy) and then take out the switch (one small screw) and replace. And yes - your steering lock will work if you do this. It probably won't if you replace the whole unit with the cheap repro unit.
HTH
BJ1
SSVC Member

by johnnylongtime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 am
Pretty sure I need a new barrel, got my ignition key stuck recently and took a while to free it. I removed the switch form the back of the barrel and this operates smoothly. My barrel is not on the speedo binacle, it is lower down the steering column and incorporates the steering lock. I will take pics and report back.
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member

by johnnylongtime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:45 pm
OK guys hope these pics help clarify, they are not mine I just borrowed from the tinternet.

This set up is the same as on my bus with steering lock

This is the barrel and keys purchased

Location of ignition barrel on buses without steering lock

Now i can see that the barrel in photo 2 would work in the location on photo 3 but I cant see how it would work with my set up in the first pic.
Any help, adive or comments welcomed.

regards
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member

by type21f » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:08 pm
johnnylongtime wrote:OK guys hope these pics help clarify, they are not mine I just borrowed from the tinternet.

This set up is the same as on my bus with steering lock

This is the barrel and keys purchased

Location of ignition barrel on buses without steering lock

Now i can see that the barrel in photo 2 would work in the location on photo 3 but I cant see how it would work with my set up in the first pic.
Any help, adive or comments welcomed.

regards
The lock you have bought will not fit.
Send it back fot a refund.

The integral steering column lock with ignition was fitted as an option or as a dealer fit.
If it is playing up maybe try using some graphite powder lubricant before you refit the switch.
The issue may well be related to wear or use of oil.
There used to be a product called ambersil in a small aerosol which had graphite in a propellant...but seems to have been dicontinued.
This worked to wash through any crap.
Try this first.
Repro column locks are no konger available AFAIK.
VW made them and Neimman sold models and then VW Mexico.
They did come up on here was one on facebook recently.
Expect to pay £150 to £250 depending on condition!
I bought a vw mexico new one and fitted it no problems so far. These when available were £60 from coolair..

They do come up but used and unknown condition.
I missed a good one from fastwheels and another good one from Fixer.
Look on thesamba.com
I have seen lock bodies with no key and locks with key but no switch on ebay.
I have an old one which is smashed that I am going to play at stripping one day.. to find where to drill to get it apart.
May be a thread on thesamba...
To get the steering lock off you will need to use a centre punch to make a pivot to drift the shear bolt and rotate it to unscrew it!
Is brutal but doable..i usef to recover new vehicles this way when the keys had been lost..
LoL
G
type21f
SSVC Member

by johnnylongtime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm
Thanks type21f
Very informative reply, I had my reservations when the part turned up. I will try to clean the barrel out first, then if needed go down the more expensive route.

Thanks to all those that gave me some time.
johnnylongtime
SSVC Member