The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Best Panel Clips?

Best Panel Clips?

by blair-uk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 am
Hello!
I am in the process of getting some original interior panels reupholstered for my '61 split.
When I bought them, they came with no clips....
...my question is what are the best clips to mount the panels and where can I get them from?
If anybody could post some pics or links it would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks all.
B.
:read2:
blair-uk

Re: Best Panel Clips?

by type21f » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:07 am
1961 if they were original panels are fitted with aluminium cup washer and a slotted countersunk pan headed screw - not push in clips.
Your door will have drilled holes to match but they may not align. I posted a matrix with clips, screws and trim strips.
I will repost when I have access to the site,
I believe the holes were jig drilled in the door but have never tried to fit a transplanted set of door cards yet. Maybe if the surface has been re-trimmed you may wish to re-drill. Not yet tried the retro fit exercise. YET

G
type21f
SSVC Member

by blair-uk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm
Cheers G!
Look forward to reading the info. Don't really want to start screwing through my nice new panels - may have to look at some alternatives fittings that you mention.
blair-uk

by sjohn821@aol.com » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am
Blair,
I'm almost at the same point as you, I had all new panels made, for all around the van, there was no panels when I received it but I removed chrome studs from the door frames, and was wondering how I was going to align new panels to these old holes.
I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you decide to do, I don't want to go drilling new holes in the doors / walls, I'm not to fussed if the studs are showing, but let me know how you get on, my email is sjohn821@aol.com
Thanks
john
sjohn821@aol.com

by type21f » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 pm
Need to work out how they were fitted on the date your bus was built.
Pre 63 the inner panels for cab doors and rear hatch were drilled to fit the interior panels with clips and screws.
Post 63 on the introduction of the wide rear hatch the inner cab door skins anf rear were pierced and the trim panels had punched holes .These trim panels were fitted with chrome capped clips.
Inderstandably most replacement VW interior panels are blank and no holes.
So fiiting the panels is a challenge.
Kick panels, division panels, drinks trays psnrls, walk through panels, short snd long interior side panels, upper snd lower luggage panels were all through the years fitted with slloy cups and screws

type21f
SSVC Member

by type21f » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:14 pm
type21f wrote:Need to work out how they were fitted on the date your bus was built.
Pre 63 the inner panels for cab doors and rear hatch were drilled to fit the interior panels with clips and screws.
Post 63 on the introduction of the wide rear hatch the inner cab door skins anf rear were pierced and the trim panels had punched holes .These trim panels were fitted with chrome capped clips.
Inderstandably most replacement VW interior panels are blank and no holes.
So fiiting the panels is a challenge.
Kick panels, division panels, drinks trays psnrls, walk through panels, short snd long interior side panels, upper snd lower luggage panels were all through the years fitted with slloy cups and screws

Looks like I need to count the screws for the 63 cab doors and the rear hatch..
Will update..
G
type21f
SSVC Member