The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Whistling !!

Whistling !!

by ernie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 pm
Hi all.
Took the bus out today for the first time since renewing the safari seals.
They needed renewing anyway but I was hoping this would also cure . My whistling noise.
It didn't and, I think the whistling is coming from the offside quarterly.
The quarterlight seals were renewed by the po and they are as new.
Just wondered if anyone had had the same issue.
The whistling begins about 30 mph.
Thanx.
ernie

Re: Whistling !!

by Red Devil » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 pm
I've had this as the rear part of the quarter light glass didn't sit tightly against the seal. I tried to manipulate the seal but it was no good. I've now got a strip of that plastic "U" shaped stuff that holds papers together like this

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/ ... GwodOpYIPA

But mine is black so you don't notice it so much against the seal. Pushed on to the glass it now creates the seal much better and I don't get any whistling or if I do I just edge it back against the seal by a mm or so. May be at least worth trying to see if it cures the problem for a little cost and then you can at least know if it is this causing the annoyance and choose your preferred solution.

Cheers

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Sjtw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Yep my quarter lights whistle, especially the passenger side. I just open it a crack and wear a scarf :)
What was the Viking direct link?
It didn't go anywhere?
Sjtw
SSVC Member

by Red Devil » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:40 pm
It works on mine. Just shows the plastic type strip I was talking about.

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by ernie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 am
Thanx...but link doesn't work for me either. .just takes me to the viking home page?
Sounds worth a try though.
ernie

by Who.Me? » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 am
Mine are terrible. There's a big cap between the seal and the frame where it curves round at the bottom (the most forward part of the frame) and the wind howls through. The seals are clearly too short and have pulled away from the frame. I've got some new ones to try.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by jayvanman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 am
Red Devil wrote:I've had this as the rear part of the quarter light glass didn't sit tightly against the seal. I tried to manipulate the seal but it was no good. I've now got a strip of that plastic "U" shaped stuff that holds papers together like this

But mine is black so you don't notice it so much against the seal. Pushed on to the glass it now creates the seal much better and I don't get any whistling or if I do I just edge it back against the seal by a mm or so. May be at least worth trying to see if it cures the problem for a little cost and then you can at least know if it is this causing the annoyance and choose your preferred solution.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the tip !

I'm going to try it this year

Jason
jayvanman

by malum » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:02 pm
Red Devil wrote:I've had this as the rear part of the quarter light glass didn't sit tightly against the seal. I tried to manipulate the seal but it was no good. I've now got a strip of that plastic "U" shaped stuff that holds papers together like this

Cheers

Steve
Nice tip
I used this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171349305505 as I had some. Works well and you don't notice it
malum
SSVC Member

by Red Devil » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:25 pm
Pleased it worked. Same principle in that it just needs that little extra to create the seal.

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by piran » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 am
tried it and works.
thanks guys
piran
SSVC Member