The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

King pins mot fail

King pins mot fail

by splitintwo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splitintwo

Re: King pins mot fail

by splitintwo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm
Hi, in the mot yesterday the guy was unhappy about the play in the top kingpin, and as they've had a rebuild he's worried about the strength etc. He advised not to drive too far.
I've stripped them all down and found pitted parts and bit of play, the hub carrier has bushes is this normal? The king pin spacer has different thickness about half way, is this normal? The link pins with needle bearings have play on the pins is this when the bearings are fitted is this normal, I'm trying to see if anything is salvageable im going to load up pictures so where do i go from here... oh and I'll tell you about the knock in the steering box later... got the drivers side to look at too

splitintwo

by splitintwo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:53 pm
Image Image Image Image Image Image

splitintwo

by splitintwo » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150588227 ... res/htS09T

Two working short videos here Image

splitintwo

by BJ1 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:21 am
Hi Ben
I'll phone you later but first talk to Rusting Hulk (Simon) on here. He's near Bristol so handy. Also try Gill (vwgillybilly) who recons these. Both know more about kingpins than anyone else, including me.
BJ1
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 pm
Whoa! - that top kingpin vid is a doozy 8O

There's a lot of heavy pitting in the kingpin shaft - a new bush and ream to size MAY fix fit but dayymmmnnnn! :D :lol:

VWGillyBilly did mine - spoke to him and he sorted me out with kingpins, linkpins, metal caged linkpin bearings - the works - he's a good guy!
Turned them around in about a week too.

Good Luck!
ted698
SSVC Member

by splitintwo » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am
Morning! Had busy day yesterday, but managed to get time to rebuild them and dismantle them to work things out.
So I've ordered a new top king pin and bush and new link pins kit. One thing tho on Scholfields the king pins spacer (out of stock)comes in different sizes, mine has always had movement from the rebuild and no sign of oval wearing, cant this be bushed also as a precaution?

splitintwo

by slippy8v » Sat May 13, 2017 8:37 am
VWGillyBilly refurbished a set of standard spindles for me and did a super job, and fast turn around
slippy8v

by Rusting Hulk » Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 pm
Does the top kingpin 'press' into the bottom one ore just push in? It should be around a 1 ton press fit....also the bushes should be changed together and reamed in line.
The spacer normally has a step, but it looks like your lower pin has been machined out and rebushed?? Give me a shout if you need any help Simon
Rusting Hulk
SSVC Member

by splitintwo » Sat May 13, 2017 9:48 pm
Hello Simon!
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately no know it doesn't press in, which makes me now think why I had a near heart attack getting them apart those years ago.
I've ordered 2 bushes anyway so reaming together can be done.
when the stuff arrives I'll see how I get on and let you know as it might be worth you doing both ;)
splitintwo

by Rusting Hulk » Sat May 13, 2017 10:09 pm
Ok, if you need any help let me know.
Rusting Hulk
SSVC Member