The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

fan belt

fan belt

by marmite_on_toast » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:36 pm
hi, i know this is silly but i have had my bus for 18 months now and never changed the fan belt on it :banghead:

what i want to know, is how often i should change it and where can i get one from?

i have a 1500cc single port (1965)

cheers Marm
marmite_on_toast

Re: fan belt

by Carps » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:48 pm
Just check the belt to ensure there are no 'nicks' and no perishing of the rubber or cracks. If it looks OK, it should be oik to stick with it, but you should *always* carry a spare. All you need is a spark plug wrench and a big screwdriver to change it - the former to undo the nut on the gennie, the latter to lock the pulley whilst you do the former.
If you take a spare, then if it does go, it's a simple 2 minute job to replace it.
Get a spare at any VW shop - T3D, C&C, Heritage, KK (probably twice the price), Volkspares, etc...

Andy
Carps

by Red Devil » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:58 pm
Just out of interest my van has an alternator fitted and I got a replacement belt ready and thought I would fit it but there is no way I can stretch it enough to fit correctly, do you need one longer than the norm for those with an alternator upgrade?

Cheers

RD :D
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by friedgreedo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:01 pm
Yep, there are different length belts to suit either one
friedgreedo

by Carps » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:02 pm
Red Devil wrote:Just out of interest my van has an alternator fitted and I got a replacement belt ready and thought I would fit it but there is no way I can stretch it enough to fit correctly, do you need one longer than the norm for those with an alternator upgrade?

Cheers

The alternator belt is the same size as the gennie belt. When you say "stretch it to fit", I assuem you are not trying to put it on without removing the nut on the alternator pulley and removing half the pulley ?
If you aren't trying to do this, then do you know that the tension is adjusted by changing the number of shims used ? Adding more shims between the pulley halves will loosen the belo, and removing shims from there will tighten the belt. Usually spare shims are stored under the dished washer that is the first thing to come off when you remove the nut
Carps

by Carps » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:03 pm
friedgreedo wrote:Yep, there are different length belts to suit either one
Are you sure ? Not in my experience - the pulleys are the same size, and the position of the pulleys is the same. Thus, the belt is the same... I'll gladly be corrected on this, though, if I am wrong
Carps

by vwJim » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:06 pm
I thought there was more than one type also...?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by BROOKSY » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:06 am
There are different sizes dynamo 9.5 x 905mm and alternator 11.3 x 912mm. But 7mm doesnt make that much difference. :roll:
BROOKSY

by Red Devil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:19 am
Actually 7mm may be all I need!!!!!!!

I have taken the front part of the pulley off and loaded it up with all the shims to create as big a gap as possible but when I put it back together, well actually it doesn't really go back together and that's the problem. I have got one belt from JK and then went and got another from GSF which turned out to be exactly the same but I was never asked what size belt I needed just given what I assumed was a standard size!!!!!!

How/Where can I get the larger sort as I'd like to feel that I have a spare which fits!!

Cheers

Red Devil
SSVC Member

by BROOKSY » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:25 am
cheapest will probably be gsf or eurocarparts. then heritage, schofields, KK etc. Try turning the engine over as you tighten the fan belt up as it will encorage the belt to fit in between the pulley properly. Mike Ps how many shims have you fitted I think you can go up to ten.
BROOKSY

by Red Devil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:17 am
Don't think I have quite used 10 but I used all that were there!!!!!! Maybe I need to get some more just in case. I'm hoping to get over to Schofields on Friday so maybe I will try and sort it out then.

Thanks for all your help

Red Devil
SSVC Member