The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

steering box adjustment/oil change

steering box adjustment/oil change

by ernie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 pm
Hi all,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge regarding this job, but it's something I have never done.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance (or a link to a tutorial) on how to adjust the steering box on my 64 split, and also how to change the oil?

I realise that you have to adjust the locknut & turn the screw, but by how much?

Also, the fluid appears to have been leaking our for some time & looks very gungy around the bottom of the steering box.

How do I flush out the old oil & what is the best stuff to replace it with.

Think I have herd tractor grease is good stuff to use, but as it's grease, I assume it's not as easy to completely fill as something a bit more 'fluid'.

Any help gratefully received.
thanks
ernie

Re: steering box adjustment/oil change

by Stevep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:24 pm
Try Penrite steering box lube if your steering box is a bit worn it worked ok on my beetle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevep
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:05 am
If you drop the bottom plate off, that will empty out, but it won't 'flush', so I wouldn't if I were you.

If it's leaking, it's due to worn bushes, so the oil seal is not able to retain the oil.

You have the van in the air, and adjust the box so you can start to feel a tight spot in the steering, then re-adjust so it disappears. You must not leave the tight spot or it will damage the worm gear & peg.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Who.Me? » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:28 pm
There are good instructions here <instructions> on how to change the oil output shaft oil seal, if it's leaking from there. The seal is dirt cheap and dead easy to fit. The only hard bit is if your pitman arm is stuck to the output shaft. I used a pitman arm puller and mine popped off easy. No leaks since.

I was recommended a mixture of grease and oil before (DIY cornhead grease), but it didn't stop the leak. Changing the seal did.

I didn't have any play in the bushes though. If the bushes are shot, changing the seal won't fix the problem for long.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by ernie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:41 am
Thanks guys - will try and take a look next week.
ernie