The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Handbrake Mechanism question

Handbrake Mechanism question

by Busman73 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:09 pm
Hi guys, I’ve got a customers 59 split and I think there is something missing from the handbrake mech where the cables attach, either that or somethings round the wrong way
The nuts for adjusting the cables don’t go inside the bracket and this makes it incredibly hard to adjust

Here’s a picture of what I’ve got
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Busman73

Re: Handbrake Mechanism question

by vwJim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:31 pm
The yoke is on the wrong way around. Flip it over, so the nuts are on the flats not inside the yoke.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Busman73 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:32 pm
Cheers, thought that might be the case

Busman73

by Busman73 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 am
Does anyone know what length the cables are meant to be?
Turned the yoke around and now the cables are about an inch too short
The bus has been IRS’d are you meant to use different cables to standard?

Busman73

by Who.Me? » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:29 pm
Busman73 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 am The bus has been IRS’d are you meant to use different cables to standard?
Yes. If you fit any later transmission in an early bus you'll need custom-made handbrake cables.

I have a big nut (full synchromesh) gearbox in my '56 single cab. The previous owner found out that there aren't off the shelf cables for that combination. Unfortunately they thought it was sensible to run it without a handbrake, which would explain the whacking great dent in the engine lid and the mangled rear valance when I got it.

I bought the longest cables available and cut off the factory swaged ends and fitted swageless wire rope studs after cutting the cables to length by eye. This sort of thing... Swageless wire rope studs

A more professional solution would be to send them off to have fittings swaged on after you cut them to length, but the swageless ones haven't come loose yet. The only problem I've had is that the cables aren't exactly the same length, but the yoke takes up the difference.

Edit, if you want a quick and dirty solution if the cables are too short, you can use some threaded bar and a coupler, but you might have to cut the existing fitting's thread down a bit to get enough clearance.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Samba63 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm
If all you've done is flip the yoke, and there appears to be about an inch of 'take up' in the photo, why aren't the cables still long enough?

Or is it that they are too short for some other reason?
Samba63
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 pm
The picture above is with the yoke the wrong way round. After flipping it round, the flat part that the nuts sit on will be roughly level with the mark on the bar that the yoke pivots on (between the end of the twist in that bar and where the yoke starts in the above picture).

There aren't stock cables for later types of gearboxes in early buses. I think the clutch release arm is slightly further back (further away from the handbrake lever) so stock early cables come up short.

Later buses use much longer cables because the handbrake adjuster is above the floor in the cabin so the cable has to reach round and up the handbrake lever. Those cables are too long for an early bus, even with a later gearbox. Custom cables are the only solution.

I only know this because I found out the hard way :(
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Busman73 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 pm
Samba63 wrote:If all you've done is flip the yoke, and there appears to be about an inch of 'take up' in the photo, why aren't the cables still long enough?

Once the yoke is flipped there is about an inch, inch and a half gap between the end of the cables and the inside of the flat part
I’ll take a picture tomorrow

Busman73

by vwJim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 pm
Busman73 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 pm
Samba63 wrote:If all you've done is flip the yoke, and there appears to be about an inch of 'take up' in the photo, why aren't the cables still long enough?

Once the yoke is flipped there is about an inch, inch and a half gap between the end of the cables and the inside of the flat part
I’ll take a picture tomorrow

Which is why someone has been lazy and fitted it the wrong way around.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by flatbeat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm
Empi do a little kit for cable ends....
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:25 pm
flatbeat wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm Empi do a little kit for cable ends....
I tried one of those. It wasn't fit for purpose. The kit uses a grub screw to grip the cable in the fitting.

One good pull on the handbrake and the cable pulled straight out.

The grub screw is tightened with an alen key, but the head strips before you can do it up tight enough to grip the cable. The grub screw thread is imperial, so it's a bugger finding a replacement over here.

I gave up and threw the kit away and bought wire rope fittings instead. They pinch the cable all round and grip better.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:01 am
Who.Me? wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:25 pm
flatbeat wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm Empi do a little kit for cable ends....
I tried one of those. It wasn't fit for purpose. The kit uses a grub screw to grip the cable in the fitting.

One good pull on the handbrake and the cable pulled straight out.

The grub screw is tightened with an alen key, but the head strips before you can do it up tight enough to grip the cable. The grub screw thread is imperial, so it's a bugger finding a replacement over here.

I gave up and threw the kit away and bought wire rope fittings instead. They pinch the cable all round and grip better.
I never actually used them....just knew they were available. Won't bother to mention them in future :lol:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:41 pm
flatbeat wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:01 am I never actually used them....just knew they were available. Won't bother to mention them in future :lol:
Sorry if that sounded a bit ranty. Once bitten...

Sadly, it's true what they say about Empi stuff. The few Empi-branded bits I've had have all been flimsy and/or ill-fitting.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
Who.Me? wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:41 pm
flatbeat wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:01 am I never actually used them....just knew they were available. Won't bother to mention them in future :lol:
Sorry if that sounded a bit ranty. Once bitten....
No worries :wink: :D

Have a Happy and Empi free New Year :lol:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 am
Lol
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member