The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Rear tail light sizes and trim

Rear tail light sizes and trim

by CapeTown62 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 am
Hi all and happy silly season.

So... my '62 11 window had rear lights when I bought her 8 years ago, but no seals or trim. I assumed they were the correct orange and red lensed originals. Then I was lucky enough to find a set of chrome trim rings, complete with VW logo stamped on them, at a swap meet. The problem is they are just too small to fit the lenses. So now I'm wondering, are the lenses wrong, or the trim rings? I suspect the lenses, because of the VW logo on the rings, so I've been looking at replacement lenses on all the usual VW suppliers' websites. The thing is, how do I know the knew lenses will fit my trim rings? To further confuse things, I see some lenses now come with integrated chrome trim. Were these ever original equipment?

Does anyone have a list of exactly what lights went on what bus, complete with accurate sizes?

Thanks for the help!!

Mike
CapeTown62

Re: Rear tail light sizes and trim

by clymoj » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:07 pm
UK RHD 62 should have orange and red with chrome trim.

US 62 had all red lenses, with chrome trim I think.

South African 62? Not sure but for UK MOT you should have orange and red.

Later on the same lights were used on bays and at some point stopped having the chrome trim. But these are a different pressing so you can’t just add the chrome trim to a light that wasn’t meant to have it ...as you have found out.

Easiest way to guarantee would be to buy repro with the chrome trim, and then swap your OG trim onto it. Or find original lights with ratty trim and swap to your nice trims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clymoj

by panel van lee » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am
I’m pretty sure the all red USA rear lenses are slightly smaller in size, so I suspect you may have bought Chrome trims for USA lights unfortunately. Just fitting orange red to my 63 and original USA trims didn’t fit, they were to small.
panel van lee
SSVC Member

by CapeTown62 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am
Hi and Happy New Year!
The trims are marked VW SWF and yes, I believe they are for US spec lenses ie the SLIGHTLY smaller ones. I thought US lenses were the all red ones...?
Why there are two different lenses so close in size I cannot imagine, but anyway I just took my orange and red lenses off and ground the edges off on my bench sander so they fit in the chrome trim. Not authentic but they fit fine and look good. Will do until I decide to spend the £££ on new lenses complete with chrome trim... or just may leave them as they are!
Thanks for the help all.
CapeTown62

by type21f » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:58 pm
Two sorts of rear lighting bulb holders and lenses introduced in 1962 around the major changes.

US lenses with one compartment to hold a single bulb and a flat section which sits behind the reflector and an all red lense and crome trim. The one two filament bulb acts as rear light bulb, brake and indicator as was standard in USA. The rubber body seal has no tit down the sides and a grove all the way round into which the chrome trim sits.

Euro lenses (supplied everywhere except US) with two compartment bulb body. Brake and rear light and indicator. Two coloured lense red and amber with CHROME paint on the outside rim edge of the lense. Lense sits into the front of the seal and the seal has rubber tits down the sides to stop light seepage from one bulb to the other.

SA bus would have had euro seals Euro holder and two colour lens without a chromed metal trim.

My 62 came with Euro seals US bulb holder and Euro lenses!

PO was BT engineer but looked to have bought what he saw..

If you have US seals MOT tester may fail for light seepage!

Rusty 1962 bought chrome metal trims and sanded lenses to fit.

type21f
SSVC Member