The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

That Damn Hinge Pin !!!....................

That Damn Hinge Pin !!!....................

by boardman411 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Hi,

Struggling with getting my upper passenger door hinge pin out, rented the tool which seems to be doing the rounds on FB to see if this would help. But after spending a couple of hours trying to budge the pin, even with my old man as an assistant & a 4ft extension on the spanner, this thing has not moved at all.. I reckon 50 years of wear & tear has corroded this to the inside of the hinge.

I think I have two options, 1). Take it to someone who can drill it out or 2). find a replacement hinge, which doesn't have a pin and swap it over with mine. I've not seen anyone that sells hinges. So if someone knows anyone selling a hinge, drop me a PM or if you can advise of an alternative method to remove the pin, then that would be appreciated. I thought this tool would have been my answer, but the pin is being stubborn... I'm really writing this due to frustration more than anything else..
HingeTool.JPG
The attachment HingeTool.JPG is no longer available
Ta,
SW
boardman411
SSVC Member

Re: That Damn Hinge Pin !!!....................

by slippy8v » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:14 pm
Had the same worries when getting our van rebuilt, explained to the body shop guy the issues some people have with the pins, he said nothing just lifted a big hammer and punch goes over to the door lines the punch up an whack the pin was out, he is old school and Im sure this was not the 1st door pin he had removed.
slippy8v

by Who.Me? » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 pm
Not sure how long you've rented the tool for, but I'd recommend leaving it on the hinge under pressure. Add heat and lubricate daily. Keep tightening the tool to keep pressure on the pin.

I think it took about a week under pressure before my lower hinge pin broke free and a couple more days before it came out completely.

I was only using a modified g-cramp though. I didn't have that tool.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by boardman411 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:25 am
I had it under pressure over the weekend and fully lubed up + some heat, going to give it another go.. Don't like to be defeated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boardman411
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm
Try it upside down ?
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by Wigsplitta » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 pm
Did mine the other day - LOTS of heat with the blowtorch and then a punch and club hammer. Piece of cake :D
Wigsplitta