The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Engine wont start

Engine wont start

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:41 am
Hi,
engine on the van wont start, it turns over but wont fire. Its not getting fuel the plastic filter only has a little fuel in it and when I'm pumping the accelerator I dont really smell any fuel.
I'm fairly certain it must be a fuel pump failure - Its currently a Brazilian one & just want to check if that sounds right, before I go and order one.

Thanks
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

Re: Engine wont start

by richandsue » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm
as a check. connect a piece of rubber pipe with a funnel and manually fill the carb. when funnel will take no more fuel, carb is full. then try and start engine, if it runs then the pump is not working.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Thanks richandsue, I don't have a funnel small enough here at home, I'll try get one this week.
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

by Dougie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Carefully take the fuel line off the carb, with the open end in an old mug get someone to turn it over on the key. You will soon see if the pumps working.
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by Sjtw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:53 pm
If the filter is between the tank and the mechanical? fuel pump and isn’t getting fuel then it’s not the pump that’s the problem it’s your filter, as the pump should be after the filter and before your carb right?
So check your lines between the tank and the filter,
Daft question I know, but I’m going to ask anyway, does it have petrol in the tank?

Next I’d take the hose that’s from the tank and detach it before the filter and before the pump and see if any fuel comes out, if it does your next step is to check and see if the filter is blocked, (just get a new one) then after that if all is still good reattach to the pump and take the hose off the carb, (as Dougie said) get someone to turn it over a couple of times and see if fuel comes out there. If it does your pump is good.

Good link here:
http://www.vw-resource.com/fuel_pump.html#test
Sjtw
SSVC Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 pm
Sjtw wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:53 pm
If the filter is between the tank and the mechanical? fuel pump and isn’t getting fuel then it’s not the pump that’s the problem it’s your filter, as the pump should be after the filter and before your carb right?
So check your lines between the tank and the filter,
Daft question I know, but I’m going to ask anyway, does it have petrol in the tank?

Next I’d take the hose that’s from the tank and detach it before the filter and before the pump and see if any fuel comes out, if it does your next step is to check and see if the filter is blocked, (just get a new one) then after that if all is still good reattach to the pump and take the hose off the carb, (as Dougie said) get someone to turn it over a couple of times and see if fuel comes out there. If it does your pump is good.

Good link here:
http://www.vw-resource.com/fuel_pump.html#test
Yes it's got fuel, my filter is between the tank and pump, so the filter and fuel lines are good as I checked to see if fuel would come out.
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:28 pm
Dougie wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Carefully take the fuel line off the carb, with the open end in an old mug get someone to turn it over on the key. You will soon see if the pumps working.
Thanks Dougie I'll give a try
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Dougie wrote:
Just did that and turned engine over for around 20 seconds and no fuel in the mug, so new fuel pump it is,
Thanks everyone for your help
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

by Sjtw » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:53 am
At least the pump is an easy fix. :)
Sjtw
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:44 pm
66Westy & 64Bug wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Dougie wrote:
Just did that and turned engine over for around 20 seconds and no fuel in the mug, so new fuel pump it is,
If your filter is between the tank and the pump, but there's no fuel in the filter then I'd say the in-tank filter is blocked as an inline filter will be gravity feed.

So might not be the pump at fault
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Wed May 02, 2018 9:55 am
vwJim wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:44 pm
66Westy & 64Bug wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Dougie wrote:
If your filter is between the tank and the pump, but there's no fuel in the filter then I'd say the in-tank filter is blocked as an inline filter will be gravity feed.

So might not be the pump at fault
Thanks vwjim when I pulled the fuel line from the pump fuel was spilling all over my arm, so I know it's coming out, new pump should arrive today so hoping to fit it later and see I get it started
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member