The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Manual cable pull engine bay extinguisher

Manual cable pull engine bay extinguisher

by Dr Lung » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy a Manual cable pull engine bay extinguisher for my 66 Splitscreen engine bay, there are many automatic ones, but having worked in the rail industry for several years I know how temperamental these can be when temperatures rise abnormally without a fire being present.
Dr Lung

Re: Manual cable pull engine bay extinguisher

by Red Devil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 am
Really. I’ve not heard of that. Always wondered if it could happen but certainly not heard of it happening to anyone on here. Had mine on the bus for nearly 9 years with no problem. Not saying it can’t happen but would question the risk over it probably detecting the fire before me driving along and manually activating something. Appreciate that doesn’t answer your question but thought I’d try to reassure for this particular application and offer a different point of view.

Your choice clearly.
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Stevep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:40 am
Hi. I think my fireboy system has manual actuation the pin is there to stop it being used. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevep
SSVC Member

by mark-s » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm
Most motorsport plumbed-in extinguisher systems are manually activated - google 'rally fire extinguisher'.
mark-s
SSVC Member

by rikkisk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Above beat me to it. Worked in motorsport for a few years running different types of single seater race cars and they were all pull type fire extinguishers fitted. Where would you plan on putting the pull? We used something similar to these. Two outlets that you can plumb in with the outlets where you desire.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/li ... 02-400-001
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/li ... 35-100-002
rikkisk