The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Doghouse extension

Doghouse extension

by Breconbus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am
Hi
I am fitting a doghouse fan shroud for 1600 twin port. (1965 split screens) On the back there are two extra pieces to close off the oil cooler. One goes on the open side of the cooler and mates to the back of the shroud so totally closing off the cooler. The second piece goes on the bottom of the first piece and sticks out at 45 degrees- so ends inline with the side of the flywheel.-
Question is, can I now access the top bolt on my bell housing when fitting the engine? Looks like no to me
Would it matter if I did not fit this piece.?

I,lltry upload a photo
image.jpg
Breconbus

Re: Doghouse extension

by vwJim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am
No, it's a PITA to fit the nut, so you need to install a treaded insert into the case. Then you just use a bolt from the bellhousing side.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Breconbus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:20 pm
Ok, understood, would it matter if I left the bottom piece off ?
Vents into fresh air as I can see.or I ,m guessing it brings it clear on the cylinder

thanks
Breconbus

by vwJim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Yes, it matters. Do not leave any tinware off. You'll also need to replace the tinware across the back of the engine.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Who.Me? » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Is there something odd about the bell housing in a '65?

My truck has a '67 H-code transaxle and 1600 dual port engine. I can reach the (nearside upper) bolt. Nothing relating to the dog house assembly gets in the way because the bolt goes in from the front, pointing backwards.

It helps to have long arms and a socket extension (and I've read that some clutch arms get in the way), but I've not had a problem. Is your transaxle different?
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:43 pm
Who.Me? wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Is there something odd about the bell housing in a '65?

My truck has a '67 transaxle and 1600 dual port engine. I can reach the (nearside upper) bolt. Nothing relating to the dog house assembly gets in the way because the bolt goes in from the front, pointing backwards.

It helps to have long arms and a socket extension (and I've read that some clutch arms get in the way), but I've not had a problem. Is your transaxle different?
His engine WAS a single port, and there was a nut on bolt, not a captive insert. So you'd undo a nut on the LHS like you would on the RHS.

But with a twin port engine that is a pain to do. All twin port cases came with a captive thread insert on the upper LHS mount.

Some earlier gearboxes had curved clutch arms which make the access underneath harder.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Who.Me? » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:04 pm
vwJim wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:43 pm

His engine WAS a single port, and there was a nut on bolt, not a captive insert. So you'd undo a nut on the LHS like you would on the RHS.

But with a twin port engine that is a pain to do. All twin port cases came with a captive thread insert on the upper LHS mount.

Some earlier gearboxes had curved clutch arms which make the access underneath harder.
Thanks Jim. I didn't know that the single port engine cases were different (other than the single v dual oil pressure relief bit).
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm
:cheers:
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by clymoj » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:22 pm
That is why mine is a pain to do then. Learnt something there. I’ve had to ask someone to hold the nut in place while I get under the bus and put the bolt in.

So how does the threaded insert work then? As in what do I buy and how do I fit it? Is it similar to a helicoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clymoj

by 8 8US » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:04 pm
clymoj wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:22 pm
That is why mine is a pain to do then. Learnt something there. I’ve had to ask someone to hold the nut in place while I get under the bus and put the bolt in.

So how does the threaded insert work then? As in what do I buy and how do I fit it? Is it similar to a helicoil?

I’ve got a few of these Jonny, I take them out of my engines to save the hassle of trying to tighten a bolt from underneath :lol:

Let me know when you’re around and I’ll sort you one out.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm
clymoj wrote:

Pretty basic. You just drill the case and press on an insert. Job done
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by clymoj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am
8 8US wrote:
clymoj wrote:

I’ve got a few of these Jonny, I take them out of my engines to save the hassle of trying to tighten a bolt from underneath :lol:

Lovely, thanks, I’ve got an oil leak to fix and no girlfriend to hold my nuts so anything which makes dropping and refitting the engine solo a bit easier will be very welcome.

clymoj

by 8 8US » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 am
clymoj wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am
8 8US wrote:
clymoj wrote:

Lovely, thanks, I’ve got an oil leak to fix and no girlfriend to hold my nuts so anything which makes dropping and refitting the engine solo a bit easier will be very welcome.

Give me a call next time you are back.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 pm
8 8US wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 am
clymoj wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 am
8 8US wrote:

Give me a call next time you are back.
Will do, thanks
clymoj

by type21f » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 pm
LoL..no girlfriend around.. LoL
type21f
SSVC Member