The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Brake switch options with servo

Brake switch options with servo

by Red Devil » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:13 am
I’m currently away in Cornwall and yesterday I had someone stop me to say they had followed me for several miles into Fowey and I had no brake lights. I have a dual circuit upgrade with a vwjim remote servo.

I’ve touched the two wires from the switch together and the lights come on so I assumed it was the switch. However, if I stand on the brakes really hard the switch does activate the lights. Hence the problem seems to be that the switch doesn’t activate with lighter pressure and I rarely have to stand on the brakes at the pressure required to activate the lights. I know there are various discussions about faulty switches etc but it doesn’t appear to be the switch itself so what are my options?

I guess I may have to just live with it for the final few days of our holiday but now it’s been pointed out to me I’m paranoid every time I drive along the small roads and hills of Cornwall with anyone behind me.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

Re: Brake switch options with servo

by vwJim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 am
Change the switch out. They can get lazy and only come on with high pressure than normal.

Or move the switch to after the servo.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by vwJim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:59 am
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Red Devil » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm
Thanks Jim. I’ll get that sorted when I get home. I’ve ordered one to be delivered tomorrow so I have a new one installed before my 8 hour journey home! Delivery costs were three times the amount of the part itself but much better than being rear ended in my view!

Thanks

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:39 pm
I had exactly the same problem.... a new switch sorted it immediately.
ted698
SSVC Member

by Red Devil » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Replaced the switch on the campsite this evening and all working fine again now. Many thanks as I hadn’t realised that the switches could become “tired” like this with age. It sounds more like me than a brake switch!

At least I can drive home knowing all is ok now.

Thanks

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member