The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Viewing my first splitscreen: Advice needed!

Viewing my first splitscreen: Advice needed!

by Ben_55 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum i'm after some advice! I'm viewing my first splitscreen on Friday (76' Brazilian import). The price is good and the bodywork/chassis looks alright from the photos. However, seller says the engine did run but electrics were disconnect when he shipped it and he has not tested it since it arrived back in the UK. Two questions... :roll:

Is there a list of key things I should be checking specific to splitscreen? Is it worth trying to get the engine running (worried its been stood for a while and oil may have dried out etc)?

I have a T4 so i'm happy with the welding and basic mechanical stuff. I've ordered the Tom Wilson book but it wont arrive in time.

Ben :bom:
Ben_55

Re: Viewing my first splitscreen: Advice needed!

by vwJim » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 pm
Take someone with you that knows buses. That's the biggest saving you could ever make against buying a lemon.

It'll take 10 minutes max' to reconnect the engine electrics, so if they're not will to do that I'd be concerned they're hiding something.

Look at door fit, locks work, get under it with a good torch. Look for body filler / missing seams where the filler has just been loaded over panels.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Ben_55 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:19 pm
Thanks Jim,

Got my magnets packed and a torch so hopefully, all will be OK. Any other advice?

Ben
Ben_55

by Shabba » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:58 am
Hi Ben
Have a look a few there’s plenty of good Buses for sale at the moment, don’t jump in and by the first one and as Jim says take someone with you that knows about Splitscreen Buses. The one you’re going to look at if the engines not running it’s probably knackered! and he trying to sell you a pup!
Good look cheers John
Shabba
SSVC Member

by james309 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:47 pm
Hi Ben,
Where is the bus incase someone is local who could look with you ?
Can you add some pictures ?
Dont be excited over shiny paintwork - better to see something rather than paint and filler hiding all sorts of sins.
As above the engine excuse sounds poor, would take no time to get running & for shipping normally only battery disconnected & sometime fuel drained / evaporated.

Maybe you could add some pictures once you've been.

James

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

james309
SSVC Member

by Ben_55 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:38 pm
Hi all, thanks for the advice. It was a complete rust bucket. Fixable but not worth the hastle. I'll check class fields.

Going to see another one next week 😁

Wish me luck

Ben
Ben_55

by ScottyN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:28 pm
Ben, what are you looking for and what’s your budget? Plenty of folk on here willing to help out and point you in the direction of something that fits the bill :)
ScottyN
SSVC Member

by Ben_55 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 pm
Viewed the other van today, 73 Brazilian import. Bodywork looks solid with limited filler and limited welding required. Couldn't see the engine running but isnt seized and appears to be in good order. Fair few parts missing lights bumpers etc.

The seller is after £8k for it which is around my budget for the base vehicle.

I'm only apprehensive as its a bit of a shot in the dark with the engine. Planning to do a full engine rebuild anyway so should I be worried? Or should I hold out and keep looking?

Am I be completely nieve thinking I can get a half decent import for this price!?

Ben
Ben_55

by james309 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:30 pm
Personally with an £8k budget I'd look at a nice bay opposed to a freshly imported Brazilian. Will be hiding a multitude of surprises, most being costly.

Good luck with your searching.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

james309
SSVC Member

by ernie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:25 pm
I think you'll find a splitty for £8k is gonna need a whole load of work..not a problem if you're up for it !
ernie