The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Diagram for fitting a duel circuit master cylinder

Diagram for fitting a duel circuit master cylinder

by Gemmas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 am
Has anybody got one please

Thanks 😊
Gemmas

Re: Diagram for fitting a duel circuit master cylinder

by type21f » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am
type21f
SSVC Member

by Gemmas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am
Thank you
Gemmas

by Gemmas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 am
Does there have to be 2 brake light switches ? As
Gemmas

by type21f » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:03 pm
Nope. I took put in a T with the switch in one of the lines at the master cylinder.. I have a VWjim remote servo as well and belly pan fitted.
type21f
SSVC Member

by Gemmas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm
There is a T piece in the middle and the rear very confusing

Is it best to remove it ? As left hand rear front go to the rear of the master and the large long one to the front ?
Gemmas

by type21f » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm
Edited above. Essentially you are measuring the increase in pressure at the master cylinder when the pedal is pressed! Then you are measuring a system increase, not the pressure in the front and rear systems
type21f
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 pm
Graham you're doing better than me, I don't understand the questions
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by type21f » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 pm
Gemma is asking because she has a dual master cylinder does she have to fit two brake light switches. I am trying to explain I used a T fitting FROM YOU so that the switch was inboard and i could fit my belly pan..
PhotoF*ckit is down or they are holding nonners to ransom so I cannot access my 11244 pictures to find one of my installation.
Lol
Hope you are well! Happy New Decade! Welcome to the roaring twenties!
type21f
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Gemmas wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm
There is a T piece in the middle and the rear very confusing

Is it best to remove it ? As left hand rear front go to the rear of the master and the large long one to the front ?
This description from the VW Heritage page might help?...
For upto 1966 and 1967 euro spec non servo brakes with a dual master cylinder: The rear brake line and brake light switch are fitted to the front two ports closest to the push rod. You should have two front brake lines, one to each of the left and right front brakes. These fit to the two rear ports on the dual circuit cylinder.
For 1967 US buses non servo brakes with a dual master cylinder: The rear line is fitted to one of the front ports closest to the pushrod. The front line is fitted to one of the rear ports. There are 2 brake light switches one in the front port and one in the rear
For the US-spec setup with two brake switches, two Tees are needed. One Tee goes at the rear and bolts to the transmission horns to split the long line from one of the front ports that serves the rear circuit. A brake switch is fitted in the other front port. A second Tee is used to split the front circuit from one of the rear ports because the other front circuit (rear) port is occupied by a second brake switch. I mounted that second Tee to the rear of the front crossmember when I converted mine.

I didn't know there was any difference between US and Euro spec, but Heritage's page says there was. The Euro-spec version only used one brake switch on on the front ports serving the rear circuit, so both rear ports serving the front circuit are free and plumb direct to each wheel and an extra Tee is not needed.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member