The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Help with air filter please

Help with air filter please

by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 pm
Hi,
I’ve replaced the crappy repro brazilian carb on my 1600 single port ex industrial engine with a rage rebuilt solex pict 30/3. I’ve also had to fit a spacer because the previous owner has converted the bus to 12v and added an alternator and split charge. The spacer allows the carb to clear the alternator. The engine originally had a Mann mushroom type filter that I’m guessing came with the industrial set up. This filter will now not fit as it fouls on the engine room roof. I’m hoping that the original type oil bath filter would be a better fit. There is an air filter bracket mounted to the right hand side of the engine bay.

I’m sure I’m not the first to come across this problem so can anyone point me in the right direction or does anyone have the filter I need please.
Thanks in advance jay
Skyelectrix
SSVC Member

Re: Help with air filter please

by type21f » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 pm
type21f
SSVC Member

by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:08 pm
Thanks for that, I’ve seen that but could you please confirm the correct filter will fit with a carb spacer
Skyelectrix
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 pm
I would start with correct year filter 1964? and work out if you can get that to fit with the spacer? If not then you may have to find a decent welder to cut n shut the mount to take out the excess somewhere. One thought is that you fitted a standard depth spacer? Could you reduce the depth of the spacer to the minimum depth to clear the alternator? Or is it really close already?

Late splits did not even have an alternator as standard so I do not believe there will be a standard one?

First car I ever had with an Alternator was a 1971 Canadian mini with machine sensed charge! Boiled the battery unless I had maximum draw from battery!
type21f
SSVC Member

by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm
Haha! I’d happily go back to 6v and a dynamo but as we will be needing the split charge I’ve got to try to get this set up working. I’ve been looking for the ‘64 on filter for a while and I’ve been offered one for £100 which is going to work out expensive if it doesn’t fit! Yes I agree I might have to get the spacer machined down to make it work. I’m thinking it’s just the clearance directly above the carb that will determine if the og elbow will fit. I’ll have to get a photo and some measurements. Thanks for the help
Skyelectrix
SSVC Member

by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Skyelectrix
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 pm
Yes.. looks like designed to make 100% sure it clears!
Measure to see what it could be reduced to...
Once you know what you are looking for maybe just keep trawling shows n SSVC FB, Friends of SSVC n Midlands splitscreen etc.
Lots fitting twin carbs engines ..like me who may be happy to pass on.. (not me at the moment..)
I see spacers sold for alternator clearance are said to be 3/8'' or 9.5mm. Some say 10mm..others are sold at 6mm for thermal insulation. So may be you could buy an off the shelf silution?
Like all these problems...the solution may be to steal a little bit here n a little bit there!
type21f
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am
I'd be very surprised if a stock air filter has any clearance issues.

Plus it will help the carb warm up and vent the crankcase correctly too.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by ROUTE66 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:13 pm
I have a 1966 split with an alternator conversion and a spacer under a rebuilt rage carb. I have the standard oil bath air filter which is on the right of the engine bay. There are no clearance issues and it all fits fine. There is a rubber section in the pipe that connects to the carb which gives some flexibility.
ROUTE66
SSVC Member

by Skyelectrix » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:50 am
Brilliant many thanks guys. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the correct filter.
Skyelectrix
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:07 pm
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member