The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Indicators/Relay nightmare

Indicators/Relay nightmare

by ScottyN » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:05 pm
Could anyone offer any advice on a problem I have please?

I’ve recently purchased a new bus and prior to collection the previous owner fitted a new indicator stalk and relay as the high beam was temperamental. On the drive home the indicators stopped working and spring to life again an hour or so later.

Over the next few weeks the flash rate would vary between very slow/normal before now completely giving up.

The symptoms: it’s a 1967 with high beam/flash on the stalk.

The indicators come on but are solid. No flashing and no light on the speedo either.

I’ve checked the bulb on the speedo, all the indicator bulbs all round and cleaned all the connections.

The high beam still works so could the relay be faulty for just the flasher unit? As far as I can see there no missing wires. I’ve checked the fuses and all seem ok. I’ve traced and cleaned the earths that I can find and it all seems ok?

I’m stumped :(
ScottyN
SSVC Member

Re: Indicators/Relay nightmare

by vwJim » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:46 pm
Headlight operation and indicator flash are different relays, so if the problems are happening at the same time it points to what links the two together. ie the indicator stalk.

Have you checked that everything is wired up as per the wiring diagram?

Do the hazards work?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by 58splitty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:07 pm
I had trouble and went to a 4 pin relay
49 to positive
49a to stalk
31 to ground
C to speedo flasher bulb (led if low current)
58splitty

by dougall up » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:40 pm
I had trouble with my indicators when I fitted a new loom to my 1966 split.

The Indicator stalk earths through the wiper switch , I had to remove wiper switch, clean the paint off at the back of dash and refit switch , TIGHT.

Try it , might work for you , the switch is held on by a round nut at front , you will have to make a twin prong tool to remove it.

good luck .Doug
dougall up
SSVC Member

by ScottyN » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:10 pm
And as if by magic a loose wiper switch tightened and cleaned seems to have done the job! It would appear the retro sound stereo was earthed on the switch too. It’s been moved and now everything’s back to normal.

Thanks for all your suggestions, appreciate it.
ScottyN
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 pm
Nice one. Bad earths do kick out some weird faults.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member