The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Wiring issues

Wiring issues

by chrystal ยป Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:42 pm
Rhd 65. Having issues with lights. Both headlights work on full and dipped. Neither sidelights work. Rear drivers side tail light doesn't work, passenger does. Both brake lights work. Number plate light doesn't work, I know it gets it power from drivers tail light though.. lastly rear indicator, drivers side, doesn't work, front and passengers do.

I have checked the tail light bulbs, all ok. Not checked the indicator bulb yet. I have temporarily run a wire from passenger side to drivers side tail light, which then works, so guessing the earth is ok?

I'm thinking light switch? Not checked yet a we need the van for next 2 days and have looked at the switch before which took a while ๐Ÿ˜

Any help appreciated!
chrystal

Re: Wiring issues

by Dougie ยป Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:34 pm
I can't do anything electrical without a multimeter. They only cost about ยฃ20 but make sure it measures continuity. With a tester wire long enough to easily reach the back of the van and a crocodile clip at each end you can easily check all your wires and switches are good, connected properly and getting power. It's just a question of being methodical taking each light in turn.
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by chrystal ยป Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Hi, thanks. Yes I have one and know there is no power to the rear trail light, I know I will have to look at the switch, but it is spaghetti behind the Speedo and not a quick job, I normally cause more problems than I solve initially ๐Ÿ˜ just hoping that it would be something easy that I have missed. Normally I would have days to spend on this, typical.
chrystal

by chrystal ยป Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm
Hi, thanks. Yes I have one and know there is no power to the rear trail light, I know I will have to look at the switch, but it is spaghetti behind the Speedo and not a quick job, I normally cause more problems than I solve initially ๐Ÿ˜ just hoping that it would be something easy that I have missed. Normally I would have days to spend on this, typical.
chrystal

by chrystal ยป Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:10 pm
All sorted, my fault, put in new headlights and not put the screw holder thing on properly, so the sidelights contact was shorting on the headlight housing!
chrystal

by chrystal ยป Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:11 pm
All sorted, my fault, put in new headlights and not put the screw holder thing on properly, so the sidelights contact was shorting on the headlight housing!
chrystal