The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Brake master cylinder question

Brake master cylinder question

by welldoneade » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:13 pm
Hi, I’m busy with a rack and pinion steering conversion at the moment. I’ve mocked up the brackets and got most of it in position, but annoyingly the steering shaft runs right where one of the brake lines comes out of the master cylinder (see photo). Does anyone know why the master cylinders are made with inserts on the side where the brake lines come out? Is there anything wrong with blanking that side off and running the pipe off the switch side?
Cheers
Adrian
welldoneade
SSVC Member

Re: Brake master cylinder question

by welldoneade » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:49 pm
I see that the inserts are residual check valves that some of the bay/aftermarket dual circuit master cylinders don’t have...
Any reason the brake line couldn’t run off the switch side?
Cheers
welldoneade
SSVC Member

by welldoneade » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:47 pm
An option might be to switch to a dual circuit beetle brake master cylinder which has the holes on the other side... it’s a late 67 with factory dual circuit brakes, drums all round (68 bay rears) and a vw Jim remote servo.
If I went down this route would I need to fit in line residual pressure valves like the ones on the original’67 master cylinder?
welldoneade
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 pm
You shouldn't run a mc with residual pressure valves with the remote servos.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by welldoneade » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:13 am
Thanks for the info, I’ll remove them. I’ve now fitted a banjo fitting to the side tight on clearance with the steering shaft,
Cheers
welldoneade
SSVC Member