The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

which dogleg manufacturer should I go for..

which dogleg manufacturer should I go for..

by volksair » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 pm
Hiya
Hope this topic belongs in technical, & I have searched to see if it's been covered before to no avail.
So come on then people, which dogleg (front wheel arch) manufacturer/s do you 100% recommend, yes, I get that all deserve 1st place. I don't have the sterling for NOS, so the list is going to read: no particular order.
Autocraft engineering.
Wolfsburg west.
Klassicfab..
Ease of fitment (least jigory pockery, cutting, bending, etc.) with all the usual aesthetics is all I'm after. Because we are unable to see physically the differences at business's shops or swapmeets/ shows at present times, I would like to know the peoples experiences & opinions. Its for a 65 panel van.
Thanks guys
Marc
volksair

Re: which dogleg manufacturer should I go for..

by type21f » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:47 pm
For my 65 MY Caravette, we bought some from AHS... the cheap ones.. drilled off the outer skin and finally fitted Autocraft outer skins. This allowed us to adjust cut add extra drain outlets and treat the inside surfaces. At the time Autocraft did not supply an Assembly and the AHS skin was ahem not as good . But this was 8 years ago.
Be assured if you are replacing bottoms of A post, lower nose panels, outer quarters of cab floor, outer areas of wheel tub, adding seat belt mounts.. you will be jiggling a lot to get door aperture gaps and alignment. Mine are as near perfect as I have seen!
Dave Haywood Matt Attwood did mine.
type21f
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:22 pm
Back when they were the only ones available I got the "cheap" ones and they were so crap I cut them back out and fitted the WW ones onto the Pickup. They're not perfect as the space for the rubber seal is sometimes wrong.

Had a pair fitted and they were a million times better though than the rubbish that was on there and no longer needed to shoulder barge the door to get out. My Samba's just getting a set of WW too. Though they were drilled to separate the sections to make the fit and gaps spot on.

As far as I know, AC only do the skins.
Gerson come in sections that you have to weld together yourself I think
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by type21f » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 pm
WHS^^^
type21f
SSVC Member

by type21f » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:56 pm
For my 62 Klassickfab inners (Gerson) and Autocraft skins.
type21f
SSVC Member

by volksair » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:47 pm
Thanks guys
At least I now know that I can mix manufacturers regarding the two sections, inner/outer....plenty of food for thought.
thankyou
Marc
volksair

by Robbievanguy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:10 am
I'm in the process of fitting ww ones there a decent fit and required a little fettlin, the fit is pretty good overall
Robbievanguy

by volksair » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 am
Thankyou..
volksair

by volksair » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:27 am
:) Thankyou..
volksair