The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

rear brake lights..

rear brake lights..

by andydlc » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:07 pm
on my 64 my LHS (opposite side to battery) brake wire doesnt seem to have power running through it, b4 i go and rip the wiring to bits does this simply daisy chain from the opposite light?? and where normally does the wires meet?

Thanks

Andy :wink:
andydlc

Re: rear brake lights..

by wilgartw » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 pm
if seperate indicators yes.

have a look at the wiring diagrams on vintagebus.com
wilgartw

by andydlc » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:50 pm
Hi, I had a look at the wiring diagrams but I think I must be missing something, I followed the wires from stop light switch to rear lights and it doesn't seem to connect correctly.. I know that the wire I have from left to right hand side rear light is black/grey on my bus, but it doesn't show where the feed wire is that powers both rear lights.. Can anyone help pleeeeaaaasssseeeee??????!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
andydlc

by andydlc » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:15 pm
Anyone?????? Someone must know.. I don't want to strip the whole loom only to find that there is a wire for each reaqr light.. can anyone advise if the LH brake light gets its feed from the RH light (beside the battery?)

Thanks

Andrew :wink:

PS: I hate electrical issues.. ;o(
andydlc

by BROOKSY » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:38 pm
andydlc wrote:Anyone?????? Someone must know.. I don't want to strip the whole loom only to find that there is a wire for each reaqr light.. can anyone advise if the LH brake light gets its feed from the RH light (beside the battery?)

Thanks

Andrew :wink:

PS: I hate electrical issues.. ;o(
As Wilgartw says if you have a seperate indicator and brake light IE European Specification then you have a wire between both stop lamps. If you have a USA specification bus then the lamps are seperately fed from the indicator switch. Please state which country you van was from and whether it has seperate indicator and tailight/brake light bulbs.
BROOKSY

by andydlc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:56 pm
Hello there, its a US spec van, LHD, 64 model, All red rear lenses, I think thats the way it works, brake light goes off if you indicate.. Never looked behind it and tried! :roll:

I know, i know.. :lol:

Thanks

Andrew
andydlc

by andydlc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:57 pm
I think the indicator does work on the side with the faulty brake light.. If that helps?
andydlc

by wilgartw » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:39 am
how many bulbs do you have?

if you only have one, then the indicator, stop, and tail light are all one.

if there are two, then the stop and tail are one, and the indicator is the other.

for a '64 american spec you should just have one bulb.

so, the indicator and brake light should be fed by the same wire at the indicator switch on the steering column. Does the indicator switch look original?

I suspect some chopping has gone on by the original owner. It probably works this way as the PO could not get it to work. If you are indicating right and you put your foot on the brake, does it continue to flash. it should.

i think you should concentrate around the indicator switch, and brake light switch rather than at the back of the bus.
wilgartw

by wilgartw » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:39 am
ps, where are you based?
wilgartw

by andydlc » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:51 pm
Thanks for all the info wilgartw, I have one bulb which does everything..

It is US spec..

So you think the indicator column.. I shall check this next.. Thanks very much for the info you have provided..

Will update soon! :wink:
andydlc

by andydlc » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:52 pm
And I am based in Jersey in the Channel Islands...! :wink:
andydlc

by 2splitsjay » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 am
ave a quick lookie on vintagebus.com
ear it is http://66.34.72.138/index.html
ope it elps jay
2splitsjay

by brianjbox » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:27 am
I had an American spec 69 bay with the same red all in one rear lights, do you intend to sperate the indicators from the brake lights as I had to for the M.O.T.
I ended up running coloured bulbs in the reversing lights as indicators and used the red lights just as braking/sidelights.
If you are seperating [don't know laws over there] this was quite easy to do at the brake master cylinder, the brake master cylinder has a live feed going to a switch [on the cylinder] and a switched live [when brake pedal depressed and ignition on] returning to the indicators? I disconnected this switched live and instead run a feed straight from the switch to the rear brake lights [disconnecting the original indicator fed one, taped up].
This would work if you were converting to the european style lights, not a lot of use though if your not.
brianjbox

by wilgartw » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:54 am
brianjbox wrote:I had an American spec 69 bay with the same red all in one rear lights, do you intend to sperate the indicators from the brake lights as I had to for the M.O.T.
I ended up running coloured bulbs in the reversing lights as indicators and used the red lights just as braking/sidelights.
If you are seperating [don't know laws over there] this was quite easy to do at the brake master cylinder, the brake master cylinder has a live feed going to a switch [on the cylinder] and a switched live [when brake pedal depressed and ignition on] returning to the indicators? I disconnected this switched live and instead run a feed straight from the switch to the rear brake lights [disconnecting the original indicator fed one, taped up].
This would work if you were converting to the european style lights, not a lot of use though if your not.
you do not need to do this for a '64, but it is an option, in my opinion, the single light is not as safe as the seperate eu amber style, as not all drivers are aware of what they are, and so i think (not based on any fact whatsoever) that you are more likely to be shunted from behind.

in saying that all red lenses are much cooler.

It all depends whether you want stock or not. I have the small red lenses, and i have had these wired up as they were originally intended, but then i have made a high level brake light to incorperate amber turn signals.

the picture isn't very good, but here is the van braking and turning left.
wilgartw