The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Help neede with rear air shocks

Help neede with rear air shocks

by paulypaul » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:11 am
Just discovered that our 63 from Arizona has a pair of rear shocks that seem to be air dampened.
There is a valve fitted in the engine bay tray (opposite that main battery tray). I cant figure out who manufactured the shocks and I am wondering if any of you guys know how much pressure should these be inflated to so I can check them without ruining anything.
Thanks, Paul

They have some writing on them saying:
Made in USA
P043

paulypaul
SSVC Member

Re: Help neede with rear air shocks

by BROOKSY » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:29 pm
They are gabriel airjackers. They are not air dampers but airsprung oil dampers. The air pressure should be between 25 and 200 psi. Mike
BROOKSY

by paulypaul » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:19 pm
Mike, thats quite a large range of pressure to choose between. How come the range is so vast? Whats recommended?
Paul
paulypaul
SSVC Member

by BROOKSY » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:31 pm
paulypaul wrote:Mike, thats quite a large range of pressure to choose between. How come the range is so vast? Whats recommended?
Paul
They are design to be used where you are going to carry heavy weights. You can Set the pressure low for every day use and blow them up when you are gonna carry some thing heavy. I have a pair fitted to my van at the front so I can get over speed bumps without damaging the steering box, they give about two inches lift at 200psi. I think they say keep 25psi in them to stop the air bag from pinching. I have fitted a small compressor and gauge so I can adjust them as I drive. Mike
BROOKSY

by paulypaul » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:25 pm
Thanks Mike, there does seem to be some evidence of wiring/pipework to the dash with warning lights etc so perhaps they were operated at one point from the driving seat...dont think I'll even go there. Thanks for your help, shame about the tyres though. Ta, Paul
paulypaul
SSVC Member