The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

splitty safety

Re: splitty safety

by vwJim » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:41 am
Good idea. Jon will appreciate the article.

Jim
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by robk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:54 pm
G'day guys,

There's some stuff on fitting lap/sash seat belt mounts on my web pages.
These mounts have to meet current design regulations here in Oz.

Go to

http://www.splitbusaustralia.com

and click on the 23 window link and then the fitting seat belts link.

Again if you can't find it I'll look up the direct URL and post.

regards

RobK
robk

by 15 window » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:42 pm
Ive posted this below from another thread I wrote, may be of use to people if looking at fiting seatbelts etc:

Have a look at these threads below from the VZI site. I was originally going to put my front 3 point top mount on the bulkhead but after talking to Andy F and having a closer look I decided against it. The problem, apart from the lack of height, is that the bulkhead is only held in with a couple of spot welds and not very strong....IMHO...so I decided to put the top mount in the B pillar.

Click on the links below to see the results and also a bit of a how to:

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83777

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69840

Also have a read through the 'splitty safety' thread at the top of the tecnical forum on here, some good points there as well.

Also have a look at this tread from the justkampers site, some good advice on rearseatbelts and child seats..

http://www.justkampers.co.uk/interactive/kamperchat/showthread.php?s=d9c3b9d9c8dc86b971103e9aeac2ac0b&threadid=35594&highlight=child+seats

Gotta keep those kids safe :D :D :D

Alex
15 window

by Bergy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 pm
Hiya Alex,

where were you tonight then? The question is... how much you gonna charge to do mine for me then?? (Seriously... beer tokens at the ready)

pretty please?! Will order the same stuff (but grey :wink: ) so no deviations from what you know!
Bergy

by 15 window » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:35 pm
Clinton,

I'm offshore working at the moment, but I'll be back in a couple of weeks. Beer tokens sound good, I was going to order grey ones but they had aset of black in stock cheap.....so no doubt your will look much cooler 8).

Are you off to Stanford? I'm getting back just before and hoping to get up there...

Oh, I took my spindles over with me to Holland this time (bloody heavy lugging them round the airport!!) and Chris from Slammed panel meet up with me and we did the deal. The spindles look the business, all painted black with new link pins fitted and all ready to go fo only £200 (300euros). I also got some KYB shock, a new tie rod and all new ends, and he did a really 8) good deal on all of this. He's a real top guy, and can't reccomend him enough.

I'm picking it all up from the office on the way back from the rig then it'll be time to fit those babies......... 8)

Alex
15 window

by Bergy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:40 am
Alex - you got a PM buddy! :wink:
Bergy

by Joseph Bakhsh » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:19 pm
I remember my dad had an accident in 1968 in Fortwilliam, when we lived there in his split. A bin lorry ,driver ......, cut across his path with no warning to go into the depot. Dad got his legs trapped and had the majority of his false teeth smashed. I remember him in hospital, not a pretty sight. Dont mean to upset or worry people but it happened, I was there, and I now enjoy drivin a split and dont even think about it anymore. False teeth in 1968? I hear you think. Well, my dad had all his teeth removed when he was 17. His philosophy paid off. He's been to the dentist only three times in his lifetime and is now 84yrs. Think I might do it myself. Think of the savings my boy or dont you know.
Joseph Bakhsh

by flatfourfan » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:09 pm
:? Do over riders help at all in a low speed impact or do the buggers just fold back? My crew has on the front and back and I can see the back ones helping against corner impacts, but I was wondering if the front would help at all.

cheers
flatfourfan

by Beelzibus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:55 pm
Not much strength in the overiders my friend,they're only really likely to save the front panel in very slow speed impacts.Much more and they'll fold back.
Beelzibus

by JimVanDriver » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:53 pm
15 window wrote:used a new set of Securon 500/45 belts and they fit just right.

Did you get your belts direct from Securon? They suggest on their site buying from a dealer but don't list any. I cannot find anyone locally who stocks them (or any other brand of after market belt).
JimVanDriver

by 15 window » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:27 pm
I got mine from my local independant car shop, most should be able to order a set in for you if not give secron a call.
15 window

by flatfourfan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:07 am
I noticed something the other day on my Crew cab..........it has stock lap belts........I thought that they didn't come out with belts at all......crew cab is a 67
flatfourfan

by vwJim » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 am
67's came with belts. It might have been an option on slightly earlier vans?
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by dawn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:32 pm
I've just joined the site and was interested to read all the issues around safety. I've actually got a '72 bay (will I get thrown off ?) and I'm also wondering about seatbelts. I've got one 2 point at the back that I want to upgrade but I also want to add another one from scratch. Does anyone know how hard this is and how much I'm looking at spending?
dawn

by Doc » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:47 pm
dawn wrote:I've just joined the site and was interested to read all the issues around safety. I've actually got a '72 bay (will I get thrown off ?) and I'm also wondering about seatbelts. I've got one 2 point at the back that I want to upgrade but I also want to add another one from scratch. Does anyone know how hard this is and how much I'm looking at spending?

shhh don't tell anyone but I have a 72 bay as well :oops:

It depends on what model. If yours was made with windows in the back (i.e didn't start life as a panel van and later converted) as far as I know you should already have factory seatbelt mounts. (not promising though)
My van was originally a kombi and I have factory seat belt mounts for 2 x 3 point belts and one lap strap. I don't think that that is just because it was a kombi, I think it is standard. Look for bolt holes just below window level behind the back seat.
John
Doc