The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

splitty safety

Re: splitty safety

by mrga » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm
ta very much for the info. i'll let you know re the bracket after i take a good look at what my bus has/hasn'tgot in the way of an upper mounting point..
cheers again
gareth
mrga

by ratatatat57 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:56 pm
paul_f wrote:
kempy wrote:CSP disc's can be used with standard wheels as long as 15".
It's a great piece f kit. Just a shame my sprints cover it up.

They definately don't. They only fit over the Chrome 356 wheels.

Paul

They deffo do fit over standard bus wheels,but you have to use the 14inch disc kit which is specific for busses running wide 5 crows foot rims,if you use the 15 inch kit then you have to use beetle rims.If you go on the CSP site it gives you the 2 options and what wheels you can fit

I have just seen a roll cage which is the dog on a split not a million miles from me and the guy has made templates so he can do more,you can just see it with the door open,shut and it is not there,goes all the way accross the front panel and is super strong :)
ratatatat57

by paul_f » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 pm
ratatatat57 wrote:
paul_f wrote:
kempy wrote:CSP disc's can be used with standard wheels as long as 15".
It's a great piece f kit. Just a shame my sprints cover it up.

They definately don't. They only fit over the Chrome 356 wheels.

Paul

They deffo do fit over standard bus wheels,but you have to use the 14inch disc kit which is specific for busses running wide 5 crows foot rims,if you use the 15 inch kit then you have to use beetle rims.If you go on the CSP site it gives you the 2 options and what wheels you can fit

That was quite an old post :wink:
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by ratatatat57 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 pm
sorry didn't look at the date was just trying to be helpfull :(
ratatatat57

by bmac » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:07 pm
hey all.

just thought i'd jump on the safety band wagen !!

do you like what I did there !!!!

I way on Youtube earlier and spotted this VW related safety video.

not a split but a later van, rather worrying as i've got a pickup myself, only a whole load older than this one. (with no seatbelts and oldskool brakes!!)

check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpU5azjCB8

worth noting that it looks like they had it going faster than it's capable of going on it's own. So unless you drive it off a cliff you probably won't experience this.
bmac

by bobley » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 pm
IIRC thats done at ~ 70mph with a full load on the back. Not exactly representative.
bobley

by jonnolly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:39 am
Yeah thanks for that you tube bit..........really cheered me up!
jonnolly

by Flat4onthefloor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm
If you drive sensibly, Keep your distance, and have dual circuit brakes, even if they are drum brakes and properly maintained, this will improve the safety of your van.

I will be putting a full cab cage and 4 Point Harness's into my panel as i want to be able to drive it reasonably quickly every now and again, They aren't built to withstand a big impact, metal is only 5mm thick!

Dual Circuit Brakes (discs for more reliability and less fade when over worked)
Cage
Seat Belts 3 Point Minimum,
Strengthening bars welded inside the doors? Protect on a side impact?!

I cant think of anything else that could help us survive better if the worst happened.

And as prepared as you can be you have to remember it will never be as strong as a modern car.

My 2 pence worth!
Flat4onthefloor

by Soundcatcher » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 pm
You can buy seatbelts direct from http://www.quickfitsbs.com/ who supply VW Heritage. So the guys can make them to order in the colour you want and the length you need. They also have all sorts of additional fixing stuff that you can't buy from the standard retailers.

Such as if you have children and you want to have aircraft style belts they can also supply standard clips (like you have in your regular water drinking car!) that can be detached as apparently they are tested on child seats and are safer. So you can have the best of both worlds. I haven't explained it very well but if you give them a call they explain it much better!

Oh and yes I've got 3 point inertia for driver and passenger and a lapbelt for the dwarf in the middle and in the rear 3, 3 point inertia belts for the rear seat and I'm still trying to figure out how and what to fit for my forward facing 2/3 seat in the middle of my '65 Ambulance............Fixing points are an issue at the mo!
Soundcatcher

by T2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:48 pm
I'm looking for these mobile "neck-protective head-stoppers" (hehe dont know the correct english-word). Looks like this ...-->
http://www.vwnorge.no/index.php?action= ... 2272;image

Any web-shop tip ? :)
T2

by Soundcatcher » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:45 pm
T2 wrote:I'm looking for these mobile "neck-protective head-stoppers" (hehe dont know the correct english-word). Looks like this ...-->
http://www.vwnorge.no/index.php?action= ... 2272;image :)

Luv it....clip on headrest anyone??? :lol:
Soundcatcher

by Soundcatcher » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:57 pm
Just had a quick look around. I remember looking for these years ago only to find that hens teeth are easier to get hold of! :wink: In fact high back Vw seats are easier to get your hands on than these little gems! :? Might try a VW breaker such as http://www.volksheaven.co.uk. You could also keep you eyes open on http://www.thesamba.com, in fact it might be worth placing a wanted ad?! Other than that I don't think they are being reproduced?! Unless someone else knows better??? :?:
Soundcatcher

by T2 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 am
High back seat's are really not an option for me - it ruins the look of the car. BUT - again - I like my neck too - so I think a mobile unit would be great. Hide it - when PRIDE is parked 8)
T2

by T2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:55 pm
Bump 'n up to the top
T2

by Soundcatcher » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:16 pm
I just found this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=760330 and I thought of you!!!
Soundcatcher