The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Tyre sizes for a lowered bus.

Tyre sizes for a lowered bus.

by Sprintstar67 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:09 am
Want some recommendations for tyre sizes, for a bus spec as follows;

one spline drop, factory rear end ie 2.5"
dropped spindles on front ie 3.5"
factory 15" steel wheels

I don't want too much rake, and I don't want too much air between tyre and arch on the front, plus they need to have a reasonable 'footprint' capable on stopping the bus rather that just locking up!

Suggestions from your personal experiences would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any pics of they're vans with particular tyres on please send em
Thanks Andy. icon_backside
Sprintstar67

Re: Tyre sizes for a lowered bus.

by OP » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:10 pm
Not too sure on the answer but it may be worth your while calling your insurance company as you're suppose to have "C" rated tyres for a commercial vehicle. It's not possible to get these in a low profile as far as I know. Some insurance companies can be funny about it, as you know they will try anything not to pay up.

It's just a thought that's all but may be worth doing.

OP
OP
SSVC Member

by Sprintstar67 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:19 pm
Ta, for the advice but I will be mentioning it to my insurance anyway, I know what those buggers are like.
Sprintstar67

by monkey knuts » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:22 am
Tyre selection can be hard work! If it helps any I can tell you that the rubber on the Devon Caravett at the end of the links is a 145/65/15 front and 195/65/15 rear combo.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/inde ... +75703.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/inde ... +75701.jpg

The rear was straight axeled by the good people at... guess where - and so the rear tyre choise was also a factor in getting the right final drive ratio and engine combo.

The rear rims are 5.5" x 15". I would encounter problems running any 'fatter' or 'taller' tyres because the clearance with the out-side of the wheel arch is tight as it is and it would be even tighter on earlier vans without the arch bulge.

Bear in mind that changing the wheel can be more difficult unless you jack the van quite high - which i wouldn't really want to do with my bilstien jack on a rainy hard shoulder (I carry around a trolly jack just in case).

I might want a fatter tyre than the 145 at the front. I have been, supprised though that handling wise they work better than you might think. I was expecting them to be quite skitty and scrub out on corners, but i haven't felt either of these things.

I've not had the fronts skid (touch wood) and I have the CSP disc brakes which i have tested under pretty hard braking. They will start to 'bite' if you turn too hard into a corner. But then, the great thing about driving a splitty is you always feel the speed you're doing... so try not to push your van too hard into anything!

The ride is very comfortable, especially considdering that it is pretty low. I think this is also to do with the fitted ball joints.

The steering box can scrape on those high table top traffic calmers.

My tyre / ride height quest shall continue - I'm looking at vintage polyglass tyres (like on the herbie bug) and the sizing system is something else!

Hope this info helps,

Cheers,
jc
monkey knuts

by BROOKSY » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:58 pm
I had 205/55/16 on my van with a one spline drop and bay torsion arms. The back was ok but the front rubbed. Bit of a trial to fit the rears. Mike
BROOKSY

by Sprintstar67 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Thanks for that, like you say the quest continues I'll have to see how it looks when I've finished lowering it tonight, take a rim to arch measurement and go from there. Not sure about 145s though!
Sprintstar67

by nickmiller » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:27 pm
I've run, 185/65/14 this was on stock rims and look narrow-ish and nice.

I then got 15" ali's and ran 195/55/15 these where to wide and a parking nightmare, they also used to be a tad hairy when you had the slow lane ruts, from heave lorries, used to get stuck in one or the other track.

I am now on 145/65/15 & 195/65/15 on the same rims and this is much better.

As you want low, but not to low profile, why not try 185/60/15 all round?
nickmiller