The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting seat belts in a Split screen bus.

Fitting seat belts in a Split screen bus.

by marmite_on_toast » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:04 pm
Pictures and details supplied by Reaction

I fitted a 3 point into my 67. There was none of the fabled factory made mounting points though

The centre points. I need to fit the longer belt ones though.

This is where I mounted the rear inertia reel. Not too bad to fit here either.

I've used JK spreader plates behind all mounting points.

I opted for a single mount point here. I think I'll go back at it later and split them up.

where did you get the belts from :?:

Not advisable, but I purchased them on eBay. They specifically have to be mounted upright to work properly (by this I mean they stay locked and wind in only until you get upright position). These particular belts are from a Renault kangoo, which I checked to for length first.

They cost about 20 bob, which is far cheaper than buying new, but they need to be thoroughly looked over before fitting. Don't want any 'accident used' items protecting my boys.

Or

from VW Heritage - they do the ones that mount on their side, are extra long, and you can get them with classic style flippy catches.

The following details have been supplied by pootle

When I fitted rear belts I tried to copy modern car set ups with regards to hip/shoulder points so that when it comes time to move up to the next child seat or an adult is traveling in the back the belts are positioned correctly.

I have supplied these images to show other forum users the modifications i have carried out on my own van. Please do not assume that my modification is suitable for your own needs or family safety.

Please feel free to add any other comments/ advise.

Many thanks Dan.
marmite_on_toast

Re: Fitting seat belts in a Split screen bus.

by neilj » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:10 am
Hello mate,
I'm trying to fit a rear inertia seat belt in the back of my westie and have come across your lead. Basically I want to do exactly what you have managed to do . I cannot see how you have mounted the reel to the side of the bus or the engine lid bit??

Any chance you can let me know . And if possible, can you advise me on the best place to buy seat belts from. I see Just campers and VW heritage have loads. It's just getting the right one eh.

As soon as i can do this me and the whole family can take off. Cheers mate hope you have a great summer.
neil
neilj

by lambretta » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 am
Here's my input on this topic:

I couldnt find any belts long enogh to go round a rear facing car seat, having spoken to all the usual suspects (Schofields, Just Kampers) I ended up with some Securon belts from GSF part number 514/30. These can be mounted at an angle which is important if you are going to put the reel bit where I have. The reason I did this was 2 fold, the first was simply that I couldnt find anywhere else to put it thanks to the rock n roll bed, but I'm sure I could remedy that given more time. The main reason though, is that they instantly would be too short again, so its a non starter if you are either very fat, or have rear facing child seats!

Mounted as shown in the photo's below:

I'll get some pics of the car seat in place if anyone wants.

Couldnt get anything like a decent shot of the lower mounts but its fairly easy to work out where they go.

Spreader plates were provided as part of the kit if I remember correctly, you can see where the lining has been pulled away to fit them in the photo's, but I havent had a chance to glue it back in place yet!

Finally, the only problem with those belts I used is that the bit they clip into is like what you would find in the front of a van - ie quite rigid and sticking up, no good for rock n roll beds really, so I used the parts off my lap belts instead, which were also securon. I do think you can buy these separately though.

Any questions just ask, hope the info helps someone out there! It did my head in trying to work out how to get the rear facing seat secure!

Oh, one more thing, top tip pinched from someone else (sorry, cant remember who) which is put some of that non slip rubber stuff under your cushions if they are not fixed to the seat, which would stop them moving from under the baby seat.

I have to be honest I'm not delighted with this as they dont look pretty, but for once I've had to put style under substance and keep the little ones safe ;)

Cheers
Julian
lambretta
SSVC Member

by pootle » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:08 pm
following on from Lambretta's post I used securon part no 264 due to the fact it had a webbing buckle. I also bought lap belt 210 as this gave an adjustable webbing buckle so that when I refit the cusions I can adjust the lenght of the bucke to suit.

http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm
pootle
SSVC Member

by rubbachicken » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:13 pm
any idea's on the top mount on a semaphore bus, where the bolt needs to be is right where the semaphores sit
rubbachicken

by readyboy61 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:45 pm
ok front seatbelts, my bus came with the whole drilled all the way through the b pillar with fixed three point belts, im doing a complete resto so whats the best way to fit three points withouth having the bolt going to the outside, would the pillar be strong enough if just the inner skin was used
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by 15 window » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 pm
15 window

by yakboy » Mon May 12, 2008 9:15 pm
Just ordered these belts

Number 3 on the PDF catalogue at the bottom right of the page, to get around the problrm of rear cupboards, will post some piccies as I install. (sorry it's in german but reimo uk can supply everything)

http://www.reimo.com/de/58149-3_punkt_a ... zialgurte/
yakboy

by carole » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:24 am
Just had seat belt mounts put in the rear of my 67 as i want to put 3-points in the back for the kids....

Thought these pics may be of use as I'm very impressed with the way these have been done, very strong and very neat, they will be 'hidden' behind the rear trim panels very nicely.

The mounts were bought from JK, £8 a pair.

Carole
carole

by Plums » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm
Looks good but did this not damage your external paint?
Plums

by carole » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:43 pm
nope.....top notch welding :lol:

Chris the welder spent more time sheeting the van up than actually doing the welding :roll:

he's based in Bexleyheath Kent if anyone wants his details.... :wink:
carole

by SC_Jim » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:44 pm
Seat belts in a single cab.

I followed 15 windows advice from his link above and pulled some threaded plates into the B pillar but instead of holding in place with a rivet I plug welded them and ground flush. Currently I have just protected the metal with some zinc primer until I get round to painting the whole thing!

The belts are the Wolfsburg West type bought from a vendor on UK ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Baydreamers.

I also found some harness plates on ebay for the seat base and A pillar mounts http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mtec-Racing-Services_Safty-belts-and-accesories_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ405375018QQftidZ2QQtZkm

SC_Jim
SSVC Member

by FamilyVan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:38 am
Gents, If i built a rear seat in the back of my van out of metal box section,

am i then allowed to fix the seat belt to this frame, the frame would be bolted to the van.

or does the seat belt fixings need to be mounted to the actual van.

I just woundering what the MOT Tester would say... :lol:
FamilyVan

by yakboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:17 pm
A few pics of my rear seat belt set up. The belts are from reimo and have double buckles so can retract right out of the way so don't get in the way when sleeping.

Steel plates with weldable lock nuts

I've cut slots in the furniture and lined it with edging strip to guide the belts. The belts are really long and fit around rear facing child seats no problem...not the cheapest belts but the neatest set up I could do.

yakboy

by Col Buckley » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:48 pm
Pootle's pics showing upper mounts attached to the window frame look good. where can these be purchased and how are the fitted ? Surely some bolts or stud bar in the window frame is required ?
Col Buckley