The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Solex 30 PICT 1 leaking when engine turned off

Solex 30 PICT 1 leaking when engine turned off

by adywells » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 pm
Hi
This is the first time Ive noticed it - I had just driven back from Billing, switched the engine off and went to have the obligatory look in the engine bay, to my horror fuel was leaking quite heavily out of the carb spindle!!

This is something I can definitely do without as I head off in the van on holiday around europe in a couple of weeks.

I have read other similar posts that say that I need the spindle re-bushed. The only person that seems to do this is a chap called Laurie Ellis who I have called but unfortunately he can't do it before i go on holiday. Is there anybody else who can do this? Also should that much fuel be getting to the spindle once the engine is switched off?
Your help would be most appreciated!!!!!
Thanks
Ady
adywells
SSVC Member

Re: Solex 30 PICT 1 leaking when engine turned off

by sidewinder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:28 am
Ady,

There's a guy over on the Samba Richard Carey who does them.

He's in the states but I'm sure he would do a quick air freight if required. $35 for a re-bush or $125 for a refurbished Solex 30 PICT 1 and you dont have to send him your carb first.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... light=pict

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... p?id=64882
sidewinder
SSVC Member

by snowman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:53 am
Are u sure that the float level is set correctly?
are you parked on an incline?
snowman
SSVC Member

by adywells » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:05 pm
Hi
Thanks for your replys.......... I have emailed Richard Carey but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Snowman - is it possible to adjust the float level on a 30 PICT 1? When I parked I was on a slight hill.

Just a thought but my bus has only done 65,000 original miles so I would have thought that the carb spindles would not be worn out. What is forcing all the fuel down to the spindles?

Thanks again

Ady
adywells
SSVC Member