The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Carb Preheat

Carb Preheat

by Jonsplitz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:27 pm
Just re-fitted my stock oil bath air filter and want to add a carb preheat hose to prevent rough cold starts this winter.
I've checked the heat exchangers but no pre-heat connection.
Has anybody tried the warm air pipe from VW Heritidge (attached pic) or any other bits of kit to recommend.

Cheers :D
Jonsplitz

Re: Carb Preheat

by BJ1 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:27 pm
There never was a connection from the HEs Jon. The VW Heritage part is a repro of the original hot air spout that fits below the second large hole in the tinware on the RHS of the engine. Assuming you have a second hole that is. The OG spouts are insulated with a grey jacket (probably made of asbestos!).

You can buy these secondhand from Volksheaven and Megabus or from fleabay. Be careful though because the 1200 ones have different brackets to the 1300/1500/1600 spouts.

Do they work - YES! I have seen lots of iced up carbs in winter due to lack of proper air filters and no spout.

The spout works by drawing hot air from the RHS cylinders into the OG air filter before the carb has a chance to ice up. If the old JK forum ever recovers from the server crash, there is a good explanation of how the whole system works in a thread called "original air filter"
BJ1
SSVC Member

Re: Carb Preheat

by vwJim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:40 am
Some engines did have a pre-heat from a heat exchanger into the air filter. My old '67 for one. Though the pipe is only about 20-25mm rather than the larger one that would fit that 'scoop'.

The style of the one in the picture works well on one of our cars.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member