The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

subaru engine swap

subaru engine swap

by hart5lizard » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:06 pm
whats the deal with a subaru engine swap?
ie cost, modification etc
is it best to try to get hold of a complete donor car
any advice greatfully recieved
cheers dan.
hart5lizard

Re: subaru engine swap

by bobley » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 pm
You're probably best asking that question on www.vwkd.co.uk search for neilc - had had his scooby powered split at Vanfest, had a good natter with him.

I'd say their was more effort involved in his conversion than in a 911 install. If you're going for big power then you'll need a Porsche 915 gearbox anyway.

I doubt you'd want to carry over much of the Scooby apart from the engine. You may want the ECU but that could be more hassle than its worth. It would be easier to buy an Omex and wire it up to suit rather than trying to reverse engineer the scooby loom. Also, the scooby cooling system wouldn't fit so you'd need to make something up their too.

Are you thinking Turbo or NatAsp?

I know Neil is looking for a flat 6 motor out of a SVX - certainly different!!
bobley

by hart5lizard » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 pm
i just want a reliable economical motor i can use as often as i want without worrying that it is going to drop to bits
oh and loads of power would be nice
hart5lizard

by BJ1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:11 pm
hart5lizard wrote:i just want a reliable economical motor i can use as often as i want without worrying that it is going to drop to bits
oh and loads of power would be nice
Then you'll be wanting to talk to Laurie Pettitt about one of his 1776 engines then. I know a few people who have fitted Scoobies - takes an average of about 6 months and lots of probs like overheating. Fit a nicely built aircooled - reliable economical motors IMO :)
BJ1
SSVC Member

by dannyboy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm
buy a well built motor and it should be fine :)
dannyboy

by hart5lizard » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm
cheers for replies
how do i get hold of Laurie Pettit?
hart5lizard

by BJ1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:11 pm
BJ1
SSVC Member

by althesparky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:20 am
is that the guy who rebuilt the engine on beetle crisis, cos i remember him doing the waterboxer crank conversion?
althesparky

by mark-s » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 am
Hi dan

Having done a subaru conversion in my old bay, I can certainly recommend it.

With all due respect, you'll get a lot of opinion from people who have never done a conversion or even driven one. You can make the conversion as simple or complex as you want, you don't HAVE to use the twin turbo motor, you don't HAVE to have a porsche gbox, you don't HAVE to have a remappable ECU... you get the idea.

You can easily do the conversion for less than the cost of a big aircooled motor & end up with more power, reliability AND a proper heating system! There is a luddite element in the VW 'scene'who will consider such a conversion close to blasphemy, how you deal with that is up to you...

Unless you plan on remapping for more power, there is little point having an aftermarket ECU as the Subaru one is more than capable.

A complete donor car would be the best way to go, that way you know you have everything you need. I got my Subaru Legacy for £100, but that was lucky. You can get an adaptor & flywheel from DS Tuning in Germany for £300 - far cheaper than Kennedy. The harness can be modified by companies in the UK, RJES & TSR for example. This will cost £250-ish & I would recommend this as it is by far the most difficult part.

If you have decent fabrication skills, you can make your own exhaust, engine support bar, radiator mount (mine was underneath - NEVER overheated). There are myriad extra things which need to be modified or purchased e.g. fuel return system, radiator ducting etc, but it's all good if you have an inquisitive mind & are up for a challenge.

Like bobley says, have a look at vwkd.com and other sites, loads of people (including me) have done these conversions - you can learn loads from them.

Hope that helps,

Mark
mark-s
SSVC Member

by hart5lizard » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:42 pm
Interesting & conflicting opinions, more feedback,
air or watercooled welcome. i must admit i do like the idea of a reliable standard powerful jap motor. one more thing in the mix, i am going to be pulling a 2 berth caravan,.
cheers dan.
hart5lizard

by Sam » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:45 am
I have never done an engin conversion. here's my view

1. For subaru convesrions, start browing the Aussie VW forums - its a very popular swop over here

2. Why would a VW aircooled engine not be reliable and economical? Don't judge the performance capabilities of your own well-maintained, carefully built VW engine by the many poorly serviced, knackered examples that are out there :wink:
Sam

by Pucka » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:44 pm
althesparky wrote:is that the guy who rebuilt the engine on beetle crisis, cos i remember him doing the waterboxer crank conversion?
I remember more the fact he did it in a garden and it wasn't exactly a clean room environment.
I had also thought up until watching it that Laurie Pettit was a great engine builder. "If its still within VW tolerance it will be OK" I guess if your building a fairly stock motor these rules apply but I was still a little surprised by his relaxed approach!

Not knocking him as I know his reputation is good, just don't think Beetle Crisis did him any favours!
Pucka

by althesparky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm
mmmm thats what i thought!
althesparky

by billywizkid » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:11 pm
Guys I'm thinking of buying a Subaru gear reverse gear what's you thoughts I have a 1302s AH gearbox but by the time I've had it rebuilt and bought the adapter plate it's better to use the Subaru 5 speed gearbox
billywizkid
SSVC Member

by OxonPhil » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 pm
I guess you have had a look at this website ??

http://www.tsrengineconversions.co.uk/default.aspx

These guys have been converting VWs for many years, and know their stuff. :D

Also PM Kilgore on here, as he has a stunning conversion in his bus :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61076

Phil. :D
OxonPhil
SSVC Member