The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

BEAMS - WHY ARE THEY CALLED ADJUSTABLE !!! HELP

BEAMS - WHY ARE THEY CALLED ADJUSTABLE !!! HELP

by 21SLIDER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 pm
:twisted: Having refitted my gearlever, shift rods and couplings and new bushes i noticed i could slightly raise my front end by a notch on the keeper plates.

I undone the big nuts, slightly eased of the allen bolts and lo and behold the keeper plates released from the tracks but lo and behold nothing !!

The bus is up in the air on axle stands the wheels hanging in the arches, so why can't i move the leaves to a position that i want ? It looks like they are maybe jammed ? I put a jack under one wheel and slighty forced it up but the allen bolt did not move ? It looks like i will have to remove the king pins, spindles etc till i get to the trailing arms, i'm then hoping that wiggling these up and down will free things up, any help on this matter would be appreciated, thanks, Gary :?: :twisted:
21SLIDER
-

Re: BEAMS - WHY ARE THEY CALLED ADJUSTABLE !!! HELP

by vwbuzzers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 pm
In the past I've had to soak them with lubricant then tap the nut either up or down.
vwbuzzers
-

by 21SLIDER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:53 pm
Thanks, i'll try that first, i've left the wheels on hoping the weight whilst its uo in the air may free things up ? I wasn't keen on tapping things but its worth a shot :? I'll give it a good spray up with WD40 and see if that helps :?: Still don't understand why the allen bolt didn't move when i forced the wheel up and down :?: Cheers again
21SLIDER
-

by vwbuzzers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 pm
21SLIDER wrote:
Thanks, i'll try that first, i've left the wheels on hoping the weight whilst its uo in the air may free things up ? I wasn't keen on tapping things but its worth a shot :? I'll give it a good spray up with WD40 and see if that helps :?: Still don't understand why the allen bolt didn't move when i forced the wheel up and down :?: Cheers again

best use some thicker oil or even diesel to penetrate don't forget when you pull the wheels up and down it will only bend the torsion bars more rather than move the adjusters. I've done the tapping think twice and it did work. Yes the extra wheel weight will help but only when raising the bus.
vwbuzzers
-

by 21SLIDER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 pm
Are the adjusters just jammed in the middle then where they've been held for so long ? And thats why they need freeing up ? If thats the case then i'll follow your plan till they shift, many thanks, appreciated.......... 8)
21SLIDER
-

by vwbuzzers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:43 pm
21SLIDER wrote:
Are the adjusters just jammed in the middle then where they've been held for so long ? And thats why they need freeing up ? If thats the case then i'll follow your plan till they shift, many thanks, appreciated.......... 8)

yes they only hold in the middle and the torsion bars twist/ flex from there.

good luck
vwbuzzers
-

by 21SLIDER » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:50 pm
Cheers Buzzers, me, hammer and penetrating oil on the case....... 8O I'll keep you posted.
21SLIDER
-

by Ollie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 am
Don't forget to unbolt your shocks too!
Ollie
-

by SC_Jim » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 am
I would not really want to hammer too hard on the adjuster nuts and risk damaging the threaded allen grub screw thingy, a std bus wheel nut is the same thread, screw one of those in and hammer on that instead :)
SC_Jim
-

by maddison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:54 am
take your wheels off, get 2 scissor jacks between the torsion arms and the top of your wheel arch (use wood to disperce the force)

jack both side down litlle bit at a time

thats the ONLY way i have ever been able to raise a beam on a bus
maddison
-

by 21SLIDER » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm
Cheers guys, at this moment in time the adjusters are loaded with penetrating fluid, have placed a wheel bolt in the hole (thannks for that) and i cuarrently have a small jack raised to a point where its leaning on the bolt 8O Shocks are off. I had tried the scissor jack idea but now i'm gonna get another and see if a little at a time each side works, i've tried heat and a tap here and there not just on the bolt but the surrounding area as well, if all else fails i#m gonna strip it all down to the trailing arms and see if i can shift them when its not under load :?: Anyway thanks guys i'll keep you posted.... 8) I think its a waiting game now to see if anything shifts :?:
21SLIDER
-

by maddison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:05 pm
...or just slam it some more

its easier :lol:
maddison
-

by 21SLIDER » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:34 pm
I'd love to but as the adjuster is not moving at all i'm not going anywhere as where it has settled means the body will be resting on the tyres 8O is that low enuff..... :wink:
21SLIDER
-

by 21SLIDER » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm
Just in case you were all wondering as i'm sure you were... :wink: I had no joy releasing the adjusters. I removed the beam, a job in itself as you have to remove so much to get at it, then fitted a wheel bolt as suggested, much chunkier head. Lots of lubrication and a few clouts here and there and hey presto i was able to move the adjusters.

I've set them in their lowest position meaning the Bus will be at its highest and will adjust again once i've clocked up a few miles, hopefully !!

Thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated....... 8)
21SLIDER
-

by vwbuzzers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:18 pm
Glad you got it sorted in the end looked like your beam was designed to use without drop spindles. I had to grind my adjusters off and re weld them further round because the bus sat on the floor
vwbuzzers
-