The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Scat gear shifter

Scat gear shifter

by Gazzy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm
Hi Guy's I have fitted a Scat gear shifter to my camper which is a late 1967 LHD split screen.
The first scat shifter that was tried did not work and we found out that they make 2 different length's so we tried the longer one. This works however we are having difficulty in finding 1st & 2nd gears as the shifter moves to far to the left which makes it difficult to engage these gears.
There is a plate under the original gear stick which limites the movement, we tried this, it works as far as the 1st to 4th gears are all easier to find and engage but it will not go into reverse gear. We are not sure if it is the lips on this plate which help the original gear stick that are restricting the scat gear stick or that it just does not work with reverse with a plate beneath it. Any idea's !!
Thanks
Gazzy
Gazzy

Re: Scat gear shifter

by vwJim » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 pm
If you do a search, you should find a few threads on Scat shifters.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Gazzy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Thanks will do
Gazzy
Gazzy

by i van » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:00 pm
i sent mine back after 3 days of fiddling around and getting real ...... with it back it went changed all the rod bushes and the original stick is superb ! the scat shifter i had was so .... i thought it was faulty and after reading lots after buying it the general feeling is they are POO !
i van

by Gazzy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 am
Hi Guys
Just an update on my scat problem... Got it working at last.
After contacting a few people and being advised to knock the shifter to the left as far as it would go and tighten down, I tried this and it worked better, so I filed the right hand side of the base plate holes for the bolts so that the shifter could move more to the left. After playing about for a bit with the file and ajusting, it now works perfectly and looks great.

Thanks
Gazzy
Gazzy

by delux 67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:12 pm
Gazzy wrote:Hi Guys
Just an update on my scat problem... Got it working at last.
After contacting a few people and being advised to knock the shifter to the left as far as it would go and tighten down, I tried this and it worked better, so I filed the right hand side of the base plate holes for the bolts so that the shifter could move more to the left. After playing about for a bit with the file and ajusting, it now works perfectly and looks great.

Thanks
Gazzy
glad you got it sorted mate
delux 67
SSVC Member