The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

csp super comp exhaust

csp super comp exhaust

by johnfraser » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm
Hello,

I am looking to rebuild the 5 year non starter 1.3 I have in my 64 bug now to as best a performing 1.6 twin port as I can. I am pretty early on in my research of looking for parts etc and wondered if anyone could recommend any set ups/parts to me. Any recommendations or ideas would be alot of help and much appreciated.

Also, I have been looking into the CSP super competition exhaust. I have rang a couple of people about these, with not a lot of help to be honest. Basically what I want to know is would it actually be worth putting one of these on my bug, taking into account the price and what effect/performance boost it would give on my 1.6. I understand it gives you good clearance when lowering the car but I presume it is for engines that are larger than 1.6? Would it be worth doing?

Like I said, any advice, recommendations or info would be fantastic,

John
johnfraser

Re: csp super comp exhaust

by elliot101 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 am
i'd steer clear of csp exhausts a friend of mine had to drive round with earplugs in , more of a boy racer sound
check out
prowagen perf4mance
i have there bus one well pleased with it , stainless quiet quality build :wink:
elliot101
SSVC Member

by maddison » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 am
i`ve never heard a boy racer driving round with an aircooled flat 4 :roll: :lol:

i think ther CSP is a great exhaust for a 1.6, dont expect it to turn into a dragstrip hero, but it`ll breather better, sound nice and wont bang and scrape away if your lowered
maddison
SSVC Member

by johnfraser » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm
elliot, the site you posted is down, but ill keep checking it, cheers

maddison, what experience or knowledge do you have of the csp super comp exhaust? you seem pretty positive, have you had one? also, do you think the pros you mentioned are worth the super large price?

cheers.
johnfraser

by elliot101 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:29 pm
here is the main site http://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/Exhausts ... -main.html
prowagen are the uk distributors
i met the guy that makes these at the worksworld show , he flew over from taiwan really nice guy, nice price too :wink:
elliot101
SSVC Member

by maddison » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm
yes i`ve had one
no i dont think its worth the price tag

but then again, i`m very tight and didnt pay the full retail price

i upgraded mine to one of the same design but full stainless steel and bit `beefier` (think the comp doesnt have stainless silencers...but that may be an option/upgrade ?? )

i like the design of the comp, that the top and bottom of it
had a BAS in the same style, (think the BAS is actually the original design that the comp is basically a copy of
when that died i got the comp to replace it, then my current exhaust

its a good design, up out the way, nice and simple , exits where the exhaust should exit
maddison
SSVC Member

by johnfraser » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm
elliot,
thanks very much for the link-exhausts look great. is hard to tell from the only photo they have on there but looks good clearance for when i lower my bug, (is that right?) good design/build, aswell as exits being where i should be. all pluses that the super comp has, would you say it was better on performance than a csp? are they ok for 1600? i am well impressed with that site so far. i dont know if they really are reduced in price or if that is just for show but is showing price at 400 from 700? did you ship over from usa or pick up from a show?

madison, thanks very much for the info. sounds like you obviously do recommend them but agree with all the people i have spoke to that say they are well over priced. did you get yours second hand? what have you upgraded to now?
johnfraser

by johnfraser » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm
elliot, just seen the sports exhaust on there for a grand-hopefully you dont mean that one!!
johnfraser

by Choc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:46 am
The single tail pipe one looks good for a split, wonder what sort of engine capacity it will cope with?

Anyone know what it will sound like compared to other UK options out there noise wise?
Choc
SSVC Member

by elliot101 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm
vintage speed exhausts are very quiet as they have strict noise rules in tiawan, they are very well built i have the single exit bus one ,it fitted better than any exhaust i have ever fitted and ive fitted alot .
alot of research has gone into these -for example the tailpipes dont get as hot as the backbox ,he was worried about children burning themselves
i got mine through prowagen per4mance in the uk ,super nice guys give them a ring :wink:
elliot101
SSVC Member

by elliot101 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm
ps these would be fine for a 1600 8)
i think these are good for 2100 :? but check with them
elliot101
SSVC Member

by SPLIT 1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:18 am
Just ordered one of the Vintage speed ones, will let you know what its like

Dave
SPLIT 1

by Bergy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 am
i think these are good for 2100 but check with them

yep - up to 2100. Had an email from Lawrence. Looks a nice piece of kit 8)

I'm very tempted
Bergy

by johnfraser » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 pm
sounds great cheers. dave where did you get yours from? prowagen per4mence are down at the mo. did you have to ship it over?
johnfraser

by GreenPanel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:02 pm
Prowagens Per4mance website isn't up and running yet but got in touch with them after finding their sticker on the back of Vintage Speed Brochure after the Volksworld show. Lawrence emailed back same evening and was very helpfull, great service.
GreenPanel
SSVC Member