The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Flipped Spindles? How's it done?

Flipped Spindles? How's it done?

by sinclair » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:42 pm
Hi.
I'm running a weedeater beam on my '60, nice and low but the ride is so hard you find yourself bracing before every little road defect. I expected a harder ride due to the reduced spring length. but now i think it's mostly due to having the trailing arms pointing up at 30 degrees. I don't really want to go to the expence of buying dropped spindles if i can adapt what i have. So what i'm getting at is...................has anyone had any experience of swapping left to right. What's needed and how much will it drop. Any technical info would be appreciated as i have a workshop available.
Thanks.
Sinclair
sinclair

Re: Flipped Spindles? How's it done?

by vwJim » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:13 am
So are you running K&LP's in that beam? Or ball joints?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by sinclair » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:25 am
Yes Jim K&LP's. I believe i'd need to machine the pins but that's only hearsay so far.
sinclair

by vwJim » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:53 am
Its a bit hard to describe without a set in front of you, but here goes.

You take the set apart, and the top king pin that used to sit on top of the upper spindle arm, now hangs from below the lower spindle arm, and the lower king pin that used to sit on top of the lower spindle arm with the spacer above it, now hangs from below the upper spindle arm with the spacer below it.

Just read that again, and it doesn't sound too clear, but with a complete spindle set up in front of you, you'll understand it.

Then you have to reverse the link pins. Problem arises as the 'new' upper king pin fouls on the spindle. This needs to be clearanced just enough to allow the link pin in position without touching.

Most dropped spindles I've seen, leave off the dust / grease caps. But with a bit of machining, you can get those to fit as well....
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by sinclair » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:07 pm
Thanks jim i think i've got that. how much hight will i loose by doing this?

Are you going to the Ace on Saturday. if so i could get hold of a set for a more visual explaination.
sinclair

by vwJim » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:27 pm
No, I'm not going as I'm working on my bus, but you're most likely passing my door if you're coming up the M3. I could show you one I prepared earlier. (well kinda, its one I mocked togther from some dead king pins parts as a tester)

It'll lower you between 2 - 3 inches. I can't remember the exact drop.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by sinclair » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:37 pm
Nice one. 2-3 inches would bring the trailing arms back somwhere near horizintal, think I remember where you are. see you tomorrow.
Cheers.
Sinclair.
sinclair

by 15 window » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:38 pm
Pretty sure you get 3 1/2" drop with the spindles, just watch that you don't go too low as you'll also end up with more suspension travel due to the softer ride, but its well worth the effort. 8)
15 window

by sinclair » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:49 pm
Thanks 15.
Jim. I've looked at the bus station "dropped spindles" and they look like the flipped ones you showed me. ie upper trailing arm mounted above the forged spindle carrier. what do you think, is it the same?

Sinclair
sinclair

by vwJim » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:12 pm
Yep. The Bus Station sell Franklins VW Werks kits who are based in the US.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by sinclair » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:42 pm
Cheers Jim.
time to get the spanners out and dust off the press!!
sinclair