The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

bay conversion to split

bay conversion to split

by pgtips » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:19 pm
Hi,

seen this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1970-BAY-SPLIT-VW ... 4002r19009

which looks ok and something i am considering (reason, I need an auto bus and I'd like a split screen but they didn't make one)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info, cost, whats involved. Did a few searches but doesn't crop up so guess its unusual.

cheers
Kev
pgtips

Re: bay conversion to split

by bobley » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:51 pm
The company which did the Baysplit conversion shut up shop years ago. I think they were West Country Kustoms...

Just stick with the type 3 auto plan or buy a T5
bobley

by BBBCVW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:48 pm
yeah bay splits went under along time ago but i think this guy still has the stuff to make one and i think he worked for bay splits
http://www.wolfiesworkshop.co.uk/Wolfie ... vices.html
BBBCVW

by Gaz2110 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:55 pm
Hi there,

I have just joined this week after years of looking for the right splitty bus!! Saw your mail and thought I might respond. I have a Bay-Split, we did the conversion about 8 years ago now, and it took an absolute age to get the look right. The Bay-Split kits were fantastic but when you are fitting to a curved window of the bay it does not fit correctly. The wiper motors are located in the top of the screens and I ended up putting two motors in to cure the strain issue that you get. There is also a pretty large overhang on the front end by approx 3 inches over the original front and as a result you cannot drop the front end as you will scrape the front on any high speedbumps!! I am now looking at a a gas system to get me another 3/4 inches, now that sounds rude!

Other than that!!!!!!! It is different and rare but I have had a lot of scorn to what I did to my 73 Bay!! Having said that she is a devon and has much more space than a splitty which is good for our family when camping. I could post some pics of mine if others dont mind?

To get it right it is not a cheap option.

Gaz
Gaz2110

by Sooty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:58 pm
Get those pics up! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Sooty
SSVC Member

by Gaz2110 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm
Sorry chaps, technaphobe, if it aint a spanner or a hammer, useless!!

How do you attach a pic please?

Gaz
Gaz2110

by pgtips » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 pm
hi.
Looks like you need to set up a picture hosting account and then link to the images which for a non techy could be a bit difficult.
Maybe someone else can advise, would like to see it.
I sort of agree, it may not be right but the later bays are a bit more practical for family life . . But the splits have , in my opinion, more character.
Be interested to see one though, if it comes to it maybe you could email me the pics
K
pgtips

by maddison » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:53 am
splitty`s are not all that...just buy a bay and enjoy it...they are just as good looking ????
maddison
SSVC Member

by bobley » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 am
Splits look good due to the proportions. Bays are different altogether, and not a bad looking design in their own right if you dress them up nicely. Forcing a bay to look like a split leaves you out on your own. I'd buy a T5 and carry a roll of tank tape in the glovebox for whenever I really must have the split screen look.
bobley

by Gaz2110 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:04 pm
Hi there,

Very true but we all do things at some point which seemed right at that time!?

Modification has been done since the dawn of cars and bikes and after all it is down to taste and preference.

However if I had known the work involved I would have bought a restoration splitty and it would have been much cheaper in the long run!!!

Gaz
Gaz2110

by dsbus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:38 pm
pgtips wrote:Hi,

seen this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1970-BAY-SPLIT-VW ... 4002r19009

which looks ok and something i am considering (reason, I need an auto bus and I'd like a split screen but they didn't make one)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info, cost, whats involved. Did a few searches but doesn't crop up so guess its unusual.

cheers
Kev

So you want an Automatic Splitscreen... read on,

1st buy a Splitscreen that meets your requirements, and adapt it like this

Phil's "Automatic Samba" ride:

https://archives.ssvc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26329
dsbus

by pgtips » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:19 am
must admit I looked (drooled) over this this bus, even tried to contact the guy but he doesn't seem to be about. It is a lovely example, auto or not its nice.

K
pgtips

by wilgartw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 pm
stef at manchester aircooled has an automatic split in his workshop at the moment.
wilgartw

by pgtips » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:49 pm
just called him ( and even made enquiry if the owner would sell :-) but not much is known about it, seems like a bay donated most of the parts so I know it can be done.

Owner wouldn't sell either.

Thanks for letting me know about it though.
pgtips