The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

engine upgrade type 4

engine upgrade type 4

by aorby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:13 pm
been thinking about fitting a type 4 motor in my splitty, not sure if its a good idea ?, or would i be better off spending my money on my existing engine, which is a standard 1600 tp, i have just done a straight axle conversion & used a 1300 gearbox, it really struggles up hills and does about 60-65 flat out. just looking for a bit more power and better cruising,
thanks in advance for any replies.
aorby

Re: engine upgrade type 4

by 57aircooled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:31 pm
im suprised your struggleing up hills
i went for the 1500 box for my S/A
im still on 1600 tp and rip along at 75/80 all day long no problems
hill dont seem to matter either
anyway im doing a type 4 conversion over the winter
heres a pic

one thing ive learned so far is its not the cheap option
i kinda wish id of stuck with the type 1 now
but hey ho , im to far on now and its going in
57aircooled

by BBBCVW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:45 pm
type 4 are great but bloody expensive especially when converting to up right loads of fiddly bits to get right
BBBCVW

by richierich37 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:49 pm
have a swatch here, this dudes mad for the type 4 stuff! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58018
richierich37
SSVC Member

by tyler » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:20 pm
it all depeds on what you can do and how you do it
my bug has a t4 in cos the bus is waiting for a resto
the whole thing stands me at £1500 if that
that includes car, engine, conversion, insurance etc
im swapping to my new engine now to run it in and debug
i dont have a clue what it stands me at cos i did it over time ad bought up loads of broken engines and bits - it could ow me £1000 or it cold owe me nowt!

in a bus its said to stay with 2lt bs and ps
but its thought that this refers more to bays - the splitty is a little lighter and folks get away with the 96mm sets
gives you 2056cc and you should make 100 bhp if you sensible

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=503904
tyler

by vanagonman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:05 am
BBBCVW wrote:type 4 are great but bloody expensive especially when converting to up right loads of fiddly bits to get right

Not necessarily. Both Tyler and me can budget under £1000 for one in upright form, including the engine price. Very good for a two liter or so Type 4. I just completed one, using an expensive method, and I'm sure I can do similar for a lot less.

CSP makes a kit to install a Type 4 engine in a Splitty for appx 235 pounds from Machine7. You just need to add a conversion flywheel and bearing (from http://www.airtechvw.com ) for about 130 quid and some old Type 1 aircooled parts you probably already have lying around (like fan shroud, fan, dynamo, etc). You can reuse the Type 4 exhaust and a set of old carbs and linkage from an aircooled T25 or a set of used Weber 34ICTs (if your on a budget). A remote oil cooler with hoses for appx 100. Finally, a 25 pound oil dipstick adapter and say 60 quid for a electric fuel pump & regulator.

All the bits are readily available here in the UK.

So that's 540 quid plus the cost of carbs and an engine. If you score a used Type 4 with carbs and exhaust for around 300 quid and you have Type 1 parts in your garage anyway, then the whole budget should be under £1000. A fair bit cheaper than buying a used 1776 Type 1.

Tyler used the Joe Cali way of reusing a lot of Type 1 and stock Type 4 parts. If you're handy with a welder, you can do the same for even cheaper than what I specified above, which is what Tyler did.

Like Rich said, here's my thread detailing my conversion.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58018
vanagonman

by tyler » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 am
i can supply the flywheel and bearing for alot less than airtec
but mine arnt new!
and it depends if i have them in stock!
sometimes i have the clutches too
tyler

by vanagonman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm
Tyler, I PMed you.
vanagonman

by maddison » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am
i`d like a flywheel, bearing and clutch....and explanation of how to fit please

pm me availability and price :wink: (my budget is £350 for everything, engine, porcshe cooling, 40 dells and zorst - i`ve spent £250 so far and still need manifolds, bottom pulley and tailpipe....so bare this in mind when working out the price :lol: :cheers:
maddison
SSVC Member

by vanagonman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:10 pm
maddison wrote:i`d like a flywheel, bearing and clutch....and explanation of how to fit please

pm me availability and price :wink: (my budget is £350 for everything, engine, porcshe cooling, 40 dells and zorst - i`ve spent £250 so far and still need manifolds, bottom pulley and tailpipe....so bare this in mind when working out the price :lol: :cheers:

Paul_F is selling a used bottom pulley you need with your 911 cooling. Show me the tailpipe you need, I may actually have one lying around.

airtechvw.com here in the UK sells the manifolds for 65 quid. Do you have a linkage and air cleaners? Otherwise, you're gonna blow that so-called "budget" of yours :lol: 8)
vanagonman

by maddison » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:46 pm
for now....just need a standard zorst ...or anything, that`ll bolt onto the standard heat exchangers

thanks for the manifold tip off :wink: got all the linkages and filter etc....
Paul F...i know you`ll read this at some point...you still got a bottom pulley pal ?

my budget changes everytime i see something shiney :lol: if i`m gonna be realistic, i reckon £500 is probably more real :wink:
maddison
SSVC Member