The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

lowering + disc brakes

lowering + disc brakes

by jayvanman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:58 pm
Hi all,

some advice again please

I am going to be lowering my 66 sundial and have just got a pair of drop spindles,I am looking at going to disc brakes.

I have heard that you can use bay window disc brakes and that they pretty much bolt on, but i have also heard that they bolt onto a bay beam so does that mean I'll need to change them beam to get bay disc brakes and if so will i then need to get bay drop spindles.

I have just paid for a set of drops spindles for my 66 but haven't recieved them yet so could stop the deal if the above is true.

I was thinking maybe porsche brakes but it may be a bit of over kill but it would be nice, when it's all done I would like to fit a set of alloys similar to the pic below. not sure if that will make any difference.

Thanks guys.

Jason
jayvanman

Re: lowering + disc brakes

by 13 window deluxe » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:56 pm
jayvanman wrote:Hi all,

some advice again please

I am going to be lowering my 66 sundial and have just got a pair of drop spindles,I am looking at going to disc brakes.

I have heard that you can use bay window disc brakes and that they pretty much bolt on, but i have also heard that they bolt onto a bay beam so does that mean I'll need to change them beam to get bay disc brakes and if so will i then need to get bay drop spindles.

I have just paid for a set of drops spindles for my 66 but haven't recieved them yet so could stop the deal if the above is true.

I was thinking maybe porsche brakes but it may be a bit of over kill but it would be nice, when it's all done I would like to fit a set of alloys similar to the pic below. not sure if that will make any difference.

Thanks guys.

Jason

if you want to use the new drop spindles you have just bought you will need a aftermarket disk kit either porsche (5x130)bits or a (csp 5x205)type kit depending what stud pattern you want?

to use the standard bay brakes as a bolt on you need bay trailling arms and a ball joint beam from a early bay but you cant go that low with that setup due to ball joint angle.

vw do a set of genuine king & lin pin drop spindles to fit bay brake parts giving you bay brakes on stock beam giving you 5x112pcd stud pattern

those wheels look like a 5x100 or 5x 112 pcd if you want a modern wheel then a 5x112 stud pattern will give you more choice with wheel style's as audi's and mercs are that pattern
13 window deluxe

by i van » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 am
my advice is dont fit those wheels! :wink:
i van

by jayvanman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:59 pm
if you want to use the new drop spindles you have just bought you will need a aftermarket disk kit either porsche (5x130)bits or a (csp 5x205)type kit depending what stud pattern you want?

to use the standard bay brakes as a bolt on you need bay trailling arms and a ball joint beam from a early bay but you cant go that low with that setup due to ball joint angle.

vw do a set of genuine king & lin pin drop spindles to fit bay brake parts giving you bay brakes on stock beam giving you 5x112pcd stud pattern

those wheels look like a 5x100 or 5x 112 pcd if you want a modern wheel then a 5x112 stud pattern will give you more choice with wheel style's as audi's and mercs are that pattern

Thanks for getting back to me.

However I'm not a technical guy and I'm lost on some of the abreviations and what they mean.

what does porsche 5 x 103 or csp 5 x 205, I've sussed that csp is a make from reading the threads and would I be right in saying that the numbers mention relate to the space between the studs ?????

I bought the drop spindles as I was told that spindles and irs would lower the van about 3 1/2 inches all round, is that right ? and what about the bay drops spindles would they lower the same ?

you mentioned 5 x 112 stud pattern how is the 112 worked out ??

thanks for your help. I want to know these things so I know what I'll be looking for.

is the aftermarket kit for the porsche referig to a 944 set up or is the kit everything ?

Thanks for your help

Jason
jayvanman

by pete smith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:42 pm
BE CAREFULL OUT THERE ,do you homework first or you could end paying double,read archives and talk to pepole at shows it works :D
pete smith

by Bergy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:12 pm
you can fit bay discs by buying a set of K&L disc brake spindles. If you decide on that route give me a shout and I'll pm you the details of someone to get dropped ones from. these would bolt straight up to your stock 66 beam and would allow you to fit bay disc brakes with of course bay PCD.

you do not necessarily need a bay beam and ball joint trailing arms to do what you mentioned.

If you want porsche or wide 5 PCD then you'll need to get a kit that fits the dropped spindles you have ordered. Gingerbuses' willwoods or CSP's, although these will be ALOT more money than buying a set of 2nd hand bay discs so it depends on your budget and plans.
Bergy

by jayvanman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am
Aagin thans for the advice guys. I am trying to do my home work hence the post.

Whats a PCD ?

Jason
jayvanman

by raiz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 pm
jayvanman wrote:Aagin thans for the advice guys. I am trying to do my home work hence the post.

Whats a PCD ?

Jason

Its the term for the stud pattern... unsure what it denotes im sure someone will chime in.. but 5x100 = 5 studs at 100mm apart...etc etc

Oh and fit those wheels they will look well sweet specially if its laid on them. 8)
raiz

by Bergy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm
sorry should have explained pcd = Pitch Circle Diameter

check this out ...

http://www.mwsint.com/TechCalcStuds.asp
Bergy

by mattp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 pm
If you want to run late bay brakes on a splitty it is one of the oldest tricks in the book (usually combined with 112PCD to 205PCD adaptors and you'll need a 68 bay beam)

or buy the new VW brazilian spindes from heritage for £180pair and source collars, king and link pins to run with your exisitng beam and arms

or.........if you'd seem my For Sale ad you could of had a brand spanking new VW brazil front beam assembly spindle to splindle for late bay brakes -which is about 1/2 of what they cost.

If you get stuck or change your mind it is still gathering dust in the garage :lol:
mattp