The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Calling the Barndoor buffers out there...

Calling the Barndoor buffers out there...

by vwJim » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 pm
First off, what year and RHD or LHD (if it makes a difference) are these off? The clutch pedal has a smaller mounting diameter than the one that fitted the bus, and the other pedal doesn't have the clamping arrangement to match the one off the bus.

Next, what's going on with the steering column top mount? It doesn't clamp up the column, and as you can see from the photo, the bracket looks way too big. Is this off the wrong year BD too?

Finally, what do the panel work fixings look like? I've just been using tinware screws for the moment to get things positioned to keep the project moving.

thanks
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

Re: Calling the Barndoor buffers out there...

by vwJim » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm
Oh, and what's the correct measurement for the seat base mount from the bulkhead?
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by Bergy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:03 pm
LHD ones ??? - got a job lot of things and they were in with it.

Looks like the wrong steering column mount :( ... none of those parts were with the bus when it arrived so they were all bought in isolation .... told correct when bought!

the barndoor guys don't come in the tech section much - you might be better off starting a new thread in 'rides' - they'd answer you in there :wink:
Bergy

by Byron Bamboo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:26 pm
Bolts on the floor panels are just M6 bolts.. with a 10mm head

Looks like the wrong bush.. although I think I cut down something else to get it to work..

No idea on the pedals.. Can't believe they'd differ but then VW did some crazy changes for no real reason other than economy

Jim, I have a complete barndoor parts manual here at home in hard copy and in jpeg format.. it explains sooooo much when putting a barndoor back together :wink: :D or you can download it from vintagebus.com.
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:16 pm
Cheers Dean. Might have to borrow that for a few days, and measure a few sections of your bus.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by SamCocker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 pm
Hi Jim, My barndoor knowledge is very very small but they look like the same pedal that came out of my LHD 54, i think it was just the acc pedal that was different in the barndoor years,

Hope im right :oops:

here is a picture of my pedals

Sam
SamCocker

by vwJim » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:55 pm
Yep, cheers Sam, least that identifies them, so the owner can sell them on as they don't fit his 53 RHD.

Off tomorrow to measure up Dean's 54 for the other bits.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member