The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Electrical problems - van not starting

Electrical problems - van not starting

by Glyno » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:09 pm
Having a problem with the bus which I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a troubleshooting approach for. The bus isn't starting and when I put the key in the ignition and move to the ignition on position, one of the warning lights (yellow one on right hand side) lights very dimly and the fuel guauge works. If I operate the headlights there is nothing. When I move the key to the next position to fire the starter, everything clicks off and the starter doesn't turn. I thought the battery was just flat to start with but it appears there is more to the problem.

I removed the battery and charged it with an Optimate 4 for two days. I then used my Gunson multitune meter to check the battery condition and it reported it as being in normal condition and fully charged. I've put it back into the bus and got the same thing as before - dim ignition warning lights and then nothing when starter position engaged.

Do I have a dead short somewhere? I felt under the van and the starter motor isn't hot so I don't think that is it.

The setup is a bit more complicated than stock as I have two batteries (main van and leisure). A split charge is in place to charge both and a Power Management System (PMS) unit is fitted to charge both batteries when on hook up. I have isolated the LB by removing both connectors from the battery but the problem is the same.

The system has worked for years without fault. Nothing has changed prior to the fault, the van has just been stood for a couple of months in the garage.

Can anyone suggest a set of steps to follow to try and determine what the issue is?

Thanks

Glyn.
Glyno

Re: Electrical problems - van not starting

by Overdubbed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:54 pm
First thing to check is the condition of the battery terminal clamps - give them a good clean and emery cloth. Check the battery earth to the body. Then check the earth strap underneath on the gearbox. Next check the leads on the starter - all your electrics go through the smaller of the two leads on there - same as the battery terminals, a good clean an rub with emery. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll suggest the next steps!!
Overdubbed

by Glyno » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Hi, thanks for the info. I am confident the battery terminals are good as I've had the battery off and back on. I'll check the earth and starter connections tomorrow morning.

Let you know how I get on...

Cheers,
Glyn.
Glyno

by vwadnad » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm
Think it may be worth checking battery as you turn engine, may say it's charged but have no cranking power????? I had the same problem recently, bought a new battery and it's sorted
vwadnad

by 59 pick up » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 am
do the relay for the leashure battery tick, when you connect the main batt.
59 pick up

by Glyno » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:40 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks as though it is just the battery. Although the test gauge was showing a good reading it didn't have any cranking ability. I checked all the connections to the starter and all were good and clean.

I bought a new battery yesterday and fitted it and now back in action :)

Thanks!
Glyno