The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Quarter lights for '65

Quarter lights for '65

by Hayley VW » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm
Is it possible to buy just the 'inner part' of a quarterlight frame (felt groove + metal bit that pokes up and sits inside the frame)?

Otherwise, where is the best place to buy new quarter lights + seals please? Any good fitting tips welcome! That inner 'c' shaped seal looks like it could be a pig to put in?

So far I have seen custom + commercial quarter lights (frame+glass+catch+fitting kit) @ £89 each. Seals are about £23 for TWO per side. Anything else I need to buy for them?

Thanks in advance.
Hayley VW

Re: Quarter lights for '65

by dsbus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:06 pm
If the quarter light frames are in good condition it is quite straight forward to replace the seal / window catch. I'm not too sure about which part you describe as "metal bit that pokes up and sits inside the frame", the catch???

I bought a seal (strip of thin rubber) from Alan Schofields. Many others have used a sealant like Sikaflex to fit the glass into the frame.

Fitting the seal would be difficult with the frame still attached to the door.

rubber strip stretched around the glass and offered up to the frame:

Then pushed into place:

Trim the excess:

installed back into the frame:
dsbus

by Hayley VW » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm
Thanks for the pics there pal. That clears things up a bit. I was more concerned about the C shaped door/quarterlight seal fitment which was a pig to get out! But yes, I can see that using sikaflex would probably replace the felt strip I took out.

I think I might just bite the bullet and order a complete new set

Thanks
Hayley VW

by dsbus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm
Hayley VW wrote: I was more concerned about the C shaped door/quarterlight seal fitment which was a pig to get out! But yes, I can see that using sikaflex would probably replace the felt strip I took out.
Take a look at this link and identify the seal you're concerned about....

http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/vanPics50-67/ST1/ST1.html
dsbus