The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Help with registering?!?

Help with registering?!?

by Gnarly » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:17 am
Hello, what do i have to do to register my van and get it age related plates/ tax exempt? It's a 67 split :)
Gnarly

Re: Help with registering?!?

by 66bazbus » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:54 am
Gnarly,

Form V55/5 from DVLA, Mot and Insurance (on the Chassis number)
Then head to the DVLA office with
2 forms of ID
Customs clearance form
log book or title showing year of registration in that country or a birth certificate from Wolfsburg proving age
and 38 quid.

Job done, had a free tax disk 3 days after registering mine in the summer

Good luck
Barry :P
66bazbus

by Gnarly » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 pm
Nice one fella, how do i get birth cert from wolfsburg?
Gnarly

by Red Devil » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:21 pm
I got a bith certificate in order to register my van. You can email through the museum wesite if I recall correctly:

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de
(click on the little flag for English!!!)

This is the reply I got when I first enquired:

We are pleased to research data of your Volkswagen and to draw up a birth certificate with the recorded data regarding original engine, colour, date of manufacture, port of destination...

The price for this service is 15 euros which you have to pay „cash with order“, please. Our terms of payment are cash or via Visa/Mastercard – card number and expiry date.

Our bank account
Volksbank Wolfsburg
BLZ 269 910 66
Konto 811 840 000

or you send the credit card number via fax, our fax number is (0)53 61 – 5 20 10.

We need to know the chassis number of your vehicle, the name of the vehicles‘ owner and the complete address where we should send the certificate to.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Christine Neefe
AutoMuseum Wolfsburg

For the research we need 4 – 5 weeks

Hope this helps a little. DVLA also asked to see my van and then issued me with a tax disc at the same time as registration. I think there may be certain DVLA offices you need to go to so have a look on their website if necessary.

Cheers :D
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by jblackmore » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:02 pm
I got a proof of age letter from VW Milton Keynes from the chassis number (US import), give them a call on 0800 7834909 (VW commercials Milton Keynes), and ask if they still do this.

I phoned them with my address and the chassis number, and they sent me the proof of age letter about 10 days later for no charge!
jblackmore

by Gnarly » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:46 pm
You're all stars, just the kind of support i was hoping for!

If you get it from wolfsburg, does it come on fancy paper for 15 Euros?
Gnarly

by Red Devil » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:30 pm
It comes as a certificate kind of thing with your name at the top the a list of key details as follows:

vehicle no
model
engine no
colour
extras/options
date built
date left factory
country of destination
and the date of the certificate

It's then signed by two people from the museum. I can send you a picture of mine if you like so you know what you are getting email me at theinkpot@hotmail.com if you want me to. It's nice to have I guess.

Cheers :D
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by mono loco » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 am
whem I registered mine (jan04) I did not need a certificate from VW the dvla accepted the US registration form and date on it.
mono loco

by Gnarly » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 am
Red devil, how long ago did you enquire?
Price is now 25 euros!
How did you get money to them, not too keen to fax my credit card details to them!!
Gnarly

by Red Devil » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:56 pm
Gnarly,

I guess the price may have gone up in the New Year as it was only October 2004 when I got my bus, seems a fairly hefty hike though!! I have to say I worried about the credit card part but I decided to keep my fingers crossed and just emailed the details including chassis No, card details etc to them. The only other way may be to call them as with most eurpean countries their English is probably better than ours!! :D

I could forward you the email I first received stating the price was 15 euros and you could see if you can get away with it!

Did you get the photo ok by the way?
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Gnarly » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:25 am
Red devil, got the photo, thanks, sorry if i didn't say earlier, minds in a bit of a whirl at mo!
Forward the e-mail, it's worth a shot, please
Seems a bit cheeky, 10 euros in two months, price of fancy paper must have shot right up, poss fewer fancy trees in germany now!! :wink:
Gnarly

by Red Devil » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:53 am
Gnarly

Email sent to same address as picture. Hopefully if you choose to forward the email you can then delete my name etc from it and reference the file attached to it showing the price is 15 Euros. This file came from the people at the museum stating the cost at 15 Euros and how to apply.

Good Luck :wink:
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by SPLIT 1 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:34 am
I clicked on the link and cant find a flag to get an English version??

Any help I would like a cetificate for my 64 .

Dave
SPLIT 1

by Red Devil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:06 pm
Blimey this thread has been pulled up from the deep and distant past - but I'm still replying to it!!!!!!!! It looks like the site has been revamped/updated so it's probably best just to click on the Kontact option at the bottom of the screen and send them an email. I'm sure they will realise it is all in English and that they will therefore respond in English. It seems odd that if you follow the link to the VW AG site there is still a little union jack to click on but there isn't on this site. Maybe they are just fed up with issuing these certificates so have tried to make it as hard as possible to get one!! :lol:

steve :D
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Nick H » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:16 pm
I got mine registered okay with the Australian licencing document - I applied for a birth certificate and faxed credit card details about 8 weeks ago and haven't heard anymore.......
Nick H