The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Engine Rebuild

Engine Rebuild

by Red Devil » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:40 pm
Hi folks a few idiots guide questions if I can about engine rebuilds. I have a 1500cc engine which I am hoping to pull out and rebuild. My main concern is availability of parts etc so I'll be giving the SSVC parts people a call first. I have watched bugmevideo engine tear down and rebuild to see what I need to do and how to identify worn parts a little better but my main concern is if I need new pistons etc the impression I get is that I can upgrade to 1600cc without any problem is this correct or do I need additional tinware etc to compensate for any additional heat? Also if my 1500 case is damaged I presume I can't get a replacement so does this then mean a new/secondhand engine and if so would a 1600 dual port be best or are loads of mods required?

Clearly I am hoping it all looks fine but anyone who can give advice on the likely senarios I may face then your help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

RD :D
Red Devil
SSVC Member

Re: Engine Rebuild

by Nic B-C » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:47 pm
You can upgrade to 1600 barrels and pistons and use same tin making a 1600 single port.

May be cheaper to buy a secondhand unit though, either going for a late twinport 1300 or 1600. Anywhere from £50-150.

Im just about to rebuild a 1500 unit I have as it had been helicoiled but had actually had a bit of a head meltdown in the past and then been badly done which wasnt found until the fanbelt snapped and spat out the plug.
Nic B-C