The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Rust proofing...

Rust proofing...

by Choc » Mon May 10, 2010 12:13 pm
OK, its time for the task I have been dreading, fetching off the underseal!!

For those that have used rust proofing products, how's it stacking up, lasting? Would you use it again?

What do you recommend for painting the underside?

I am going to try & fetch off all the years of underseal and paint with rust proofer. Not a task I am looking forward to and not looking forward to what I may find, but its something that I want to do.

So, what did you use? Does it last? Would you use it again? Any pitfalls to avoid?
Choc
SSVC Member

Re: Rust proofing...

by bongo » Mon May 10, 2010 4:05 pm
i'm using metal ready and chassis paint from frosts this week.i told them i'm not after a show winning finish,but something that will last as long as possible.it does look like really good stuff,lets hope it is.
they're very helpful over the phone aswell
bongo

by moler » Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 am
DON'T use Rustoleum underneath :(

My thoughts, I'm either going etch, stonechip, and 2pac
or, metal ready, POR15, and 2pac

:)
moler
SSVC Member

by Choc » Tue May 11, 2010 11:56 am
I've previously looked at POR15 or Rustbullit.

Just wonderding how these are lasting or how others are lasting after people have applied them?

Not looking for a show winning finish, just trying to make the metal last at litte longer.
Choc
SSVC Member

by Red Devil » Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 am
I've just POR 15 my bus so can't comment on the lasting properties as yet as it is about 4 weeks old at the moment. If you are able to remove old paint etc to get back to bare metal it goes on really nicely by brushing it on and creates a good looking finish. I did the front and rear of the bus including arches this way and am really happy with the results although I do have some runs in the paint but like you I'm after something to last and protect not win me a show and shine award. If you are bale to get the bus blasted underneath it would go on really well I would think without the need for the metal ready either as the surface would then already be free from rust and also rough enough for it to stick to.

For the middle section (under floor) I just couldn't remove the paint so easily by hand because of the floor profile and all of the cross members (I have limited gargae facilities) etc so I cleaned and painted over what was there on the basis that it should still offer some protection and that part of the floor shouldn't get the stones and stuff flying up at it like the arches etc. Have to say it would be far better with paint off as I struggled to get it to cover well. In the end I used some of the silver POR15 which has the aluminium particles in it and that went on far better than the other colours and then used grey for the second coat to make it look more like factory primer look. Becasue I had to put on more paint for coverage I also ended up with more runs etc in the middle section. Overall it isn't too bad though and I think it will do the job I'm after. It isn't something I want to do in a hurry again I have to say but blasted underside would make it far more easy and if you were able to get it sprayed on by a paint shop even better I guess as I think the finish would look superb. Drop me a PM with an email address and I can send you some of my before, during in and after pics if you want.

Cheers

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Red Devil » Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 pm
Choc,

I can't get through to your email adress with the pics so for the benefit of yourself and others on here who may be interested this is my before, during and after picfest as far as POR15 is concerened. There are a lot of pics, if you have any questions drop me a PM.

Steve

Before:

During

After

Red Devil
SSVC Member

by Choc » Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 pm
Awsome effort! :thumbleft:

Looks good, that's definitely the way forward.

Did you need a prep application prior to the POR going on?

Where did you purchase it from?

Cheers. 8)
Choc
SSVC Member

by aogrady » Thu May 13, 2010 8:49 pm
moler wrote:DON'T use Rustoleum underneath :(

Hi!

What's wrong with rustoleum then? Was thinking on using this on mine.....

Cheers!

Alistair
aogrady

by Red Devil » Fri May 14, 2010 7:36 am
Choc,

I used the POR15 marine clean and then metal ready at the rear (which you can see the effects of in one of the during pics). It is supposed to neutralise rust and etch the surface but for the front and because actually I'm very lucky to have one of those rust free buses I decided that the strip disc would create a rough enough surface for it to stick to and indeed it went on very well without any additional treatment. It doesn't like sticking to existing paint much which is why the middle section was harder for me but bare metal was great. I had to paint over the edges where I couldn't get the strip discs in to remove paint several times but in the end it made a good cover. It will be interesting to see over time if the rear holds up any better than the front becasue of the other applications used though.

Purchased it all from frost restoration. You can buy packs of smaller cans (6 pack) which I'd recommend because when it hardens it is impossible to shift/open tins although I did find a layer of clingfilm between lid and can allowed a couple of days use before the paint in the tin then dried up on a larger tin.

Steve
Red Devil
SSVC Member

by m1xmag » Fri May 14, 2010 12:17 pm
Nice work on posting all those pictures up and the info on what you did, very useful :cheers:
m1xmag

by The splitster » Sun May 16, 2010 9:33 pm
aogrady wrote:
moler wrote:DON'T use Rustoleum underneath :(

Hi!

What's wrong with rustoleum then? Was thinking on using this on mine.....

Cheers!

Alistair
Rustoleum one year on - you decide?

The splitster

by jayvanman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:08 am
usefull thread guys :D

jason
jayvanman

by DOUGAL » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:28 pm
When using POR 15 poor a small amount out of the big tin into a smaller container and close the big tin straight away to store it. Use the smaller container to paint so you don't keep the bigger tin open. POR 15 cures in the humid atmosphere and you don't keep dipping your 'dirty' brush into the big pot.

No experience myself with this but this is what my brother was told and done it on his mini. He swears by it.

Thinking of doing this myself

GJ
DOUGAL
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:37 pm
Good clean then 3 coats of rustbullet then 3 coats of hammerite.Lasting ok but i think i should have chosen another top coat i wanted the stone chip it but the hammerite keeps reacting. Rust comes through a bit under the arches and so edges but the stones etc don't help. Done it in a light colour so i can see to touch up. Sprayed it on but the rust bullet nearly killed me. :roll:

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:53 pm
Steve. Fantastic pics. Looks great. What do guys recommend inside the rear load area of a bus? Mine is painted but I want to ensure the floor area and lower side near sills doesn't rust.

Sorry Choc don't mean to hijack thread.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member