The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

how much oil in gearbox??

how much oil in gearbox??

by caveman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
i have a standard split gearbox and have drained whats left of the oil out for a re fill but how much in litres do i put in/buy???

oh and what grade?

Re: how much oil in gearbox??

by vwJim » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:04 am
2.5 - 3 litres in the box, plus reduction boxes if you drained them.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by NathanAndDeb » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 am
SAE 90 hypoid gear box oil. Thats what I have just put in.
NathanAndDeb
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 am
Just top it up until it dribbles out of the top-up hole. While you're at it get a tube of moly-slip and chuck that in as well. From memory there's one type of gear oil you shouldn't use as it isn't good for yellow metals which tend to be present in old vehicle gearboxes and one has a 5 in the numbers and one has a 4 but I can't remember which one is good/bad. I had to order mine (comma brand) as its not generally stocked by most shops. I'll have a look when I get home and post it up.
Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by e m p i » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:18 am
Okay had a look and mine is EP80 and its a GL4. Not too sure what the additive is than they put in GL5 but I deffo recall that its not good for our type of 'boxes due to some of the bushes etc being made from yellow metal. That said it'd probably take about a thousand years to do any damage!!!
Anyhow Matt, hope that helps. Oh and we're planning on coming down either to your way or the Gower in Sept so I'll let you know

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by Fla » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 am
I put in Morris 80W/90 GL4 into my gearbox. All seemed well until a seroius knocking occurs when under load after a hot run. Feels like the diff is shagged even though it has only done 31k miles from new!

The only thing we couldn't rebuild in the gearbox was the original ZF Limited Slip Diff as the parts are not available. Thought this might be the problem as everything else has been gone through. Reduction hubs rebuilt and the spade ends of the axle shafts are clean.

I have just received some Morris XEP90 GL5 (Limited Slip Diff and Final Drive Oil) this morning. This should hopefully solve my problem and there will be not need for the recommended additive, which is a Cheverolet one by the way. I have heard of a number of people with LSD's having gearboxes completely rebuilt when it was just the incorrect gear oil that was being used so fingers crossed my problems are down to this too.
Fla

by dsbus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 am
Fla wrote:
I have just received some Morris XEP90 GL5 (Limited Slip Diff and Final Drive Oil) this morning. This should hopefully solve my problem and there will be not need for the recommended additive, which is a Cheverolet one by the way. I have heard of a number of people with LSD's having gearboxes completely rebuilt when it was just the incorrect gear oil that was being used so fingers crossed my problems are down to this too.

GL5 contains an EP (extreme Pressure additive) that can be corrosive the phosphor bronze conponents, ie selector forks. Some late gearboxes have steel selectors, but most will not. I'd stick with GL4
dsbus

by Fla » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm
dsbus wrote:GL5 contains an EP (extreme Pressure additive) that can be corrosive the phosphor bronze conponents, ie selector forks. Some late gearboxes have steel selectors, but most will not. I'd stick with GL4
Yes this was true when GL-5 was first developed. Nowadays they conform to MT-1 standards and therefore do not attack yellow metals. Which is good as most new gearboxes contain yellow metals and GL5 is the most common oil. As I am running a LSD I shall definetly be using the GL-5 due to the EP additives.

If you look around all the sites you sill see that this has been a long running argument.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... l5&start=0

Personally I shall put 2.5 litres of the best oil available for my setup and that is Morris XEP90 GL5
Fla

by vwJim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:04 pm
dsbus wrote:Some late gearboxes have steel selectors, but most will not. I'd stick with GL4
Bit off topic, but is that the right way round. Was told a while back that early ones had steel forks, but they were change on the later boxes for quieter / smoother operation. Just curious.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by NathanAndDeb » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:18 pm
This is the one I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smith-Allan-LS-Li ... 3a57e5f06d

Hope this is of some use?
Cheers Nathan
PS they also do GL4 and GL5
NathanAndDeb
SSVC Member