The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

IRS Camber problem, low buses

IRS Camber problem, low buses

by 66 SO42 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 pm
Hi All

I'm toying with the idea of getting some wedges made to solve the issue of camber on the back wheels. We've made a test set up that have been fitted to a bus (I'll try and get Sean to post some before and after pics shortly), but they will be laser cut to follow the profile ot the A arms, and fit between the spring plate and A arm, and are machined down to suit the bus/ride height.

Not got final costs yet, but would imagine they will be somewhere in the region of £50 per pair

Just wanting to judge if there is any interest?

Cheers

Neil
66 SO42
SSVC Member

Re: IRS Camber problem, low buses

by SplitScreenN00b » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 pm
Me please :thumbright:
SplitScreenN00b
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:13 pm
Are these for beetle based or bay based IRS systems?
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by 66 SO42 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm
paul_f wrote:Are these for beetle based or bay based IRS systems?
Good point Paul :D

Bay based, creative chassis legs, beetle box - not sure if they would work with other systems?
66 SO42
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 pm
66 SO42 wrote: Good point Paul :D

Bay based, creative chassis legs, beetle box - not sure if they would work with other systems?
It would work on any bay based one then :wink:
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by orb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 pm
You can use horseshoe plates to the same effect - bit more expensive though
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?topic=1678.0

Orb
orb

by paul_f » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:50 pm
With these camber plates, you really should have plates under the nuts as well so that washers and bolt head and nut are all sitting parallel to each other to prevent the risk of things loosening
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by vwJim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 pm
orb wrote:You can use horseshoe plates to the same effect - bit more expensive though
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?topic=1678.0

Orb
I've a set of these plates, £85 posted.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by vwJim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
66 SO42 wrote:Hi All

I'm toying with the idea of getting some wedges made to solve the issue of camber on the back wheels. We've made a test set up that have been fitted to a bus (I'll try and get Sean to post some before and after pics shortly), but they will be laser cut to follow the profile ot the A arms, and fit between the spring plate and A arm, and are machined down to suit the bus/ride height.

Not got final costs yet, but would imagine they will be somewhere in the region of £50 per pair

Just wanting to judge if there is any interest?

Cheers

Neil
Each bus' camber issues will be different, possibly different each side too, so not sure how you'd manage to make a 'one set solves all' solution. Shawn look into this to solve his and think he worked out it would work, as long as the wedge isn't too great that would stop the bolts passing though the various items when there's effectively a kink in the middle of the bolts path.

If you can make it work, £50 would be a great price. My machinist wouldn't be able to make them up for anywhere near that price.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by shawn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:43 pm
I did indeed look into this issue a couple or more years ago and had a pair of 'wedges' made up like this

I actually never fitted them and may even have lost them ! like Paul says you will have to make up wedge shaped washers to go under the bolt heads to make sure they contact the plates 100%.

This is the issue with the creative irs set up.

The spring plate is 100% vertical but the mating face on the a arm has already got negative camber already built in even though there's no weight on the wheels to create even more...

I also bought some bus boys camber plates, trouble is if you have already wound the springplates round a couple of splines then the hub is so far up inside the arch that you can't get a wheel on when it's all together.

shawn
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 am
Yours might have just worked Shawn if you had regular spring plates and not the kicked up adjustable ones.

The bigger calipers make it more difficult to get them on though as they are in the wrong place for easy wheel fitment!
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by vwJim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 am
Dogleg spring plates & boomerang plates.... the arse would have been on the deck!
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by shawn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:06 pm
paul_f wrote:Yours might have just worked Shawn if you had regular spring plates and not the kicked up adjustable ones.

The bigger calipers make it more difficult to get them on though as they are in the wrong place for easy wheel fitment!

Agreed, the horseshoe plates are only good for near standard set up's and owners only wanting a mild drop :wink:
shawn
SSVC Member

by shawn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 pm
vwJim wrote:Dogleg spring plates & boomerang plates.... the arse would have been on the deck!
I never found out ! they were purchased purely to see if they would cure the camber issue not for lowering. I don't even know what happened to them :lol:
shawn
SSVC Member

by Bally » Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 pm
Resurrecting old thread as I have a need for wedges of some sort to rectify my camber issues - I have Bay IRS and air bags - I drive it stockish height to get some sort of decent ride quality but the camber is out on both rear wheels (to a different degree IIRC) so I want to get the camber to around 0 degrees for driving.
Did you ever find your wedges Shawn? Does anyone make a kit these days?

Cheers,

Dave
Bally