The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

L82 silver white

L82 silver white

by kev mc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:27 pm
getting my wheels powder coated and can someone confirm that L82 silver white is the correct colour for them, the bus is a 62 deluxe.
also as a back up does anyone know what the ral # would be incase they dont have the L# codes.
cheers
kev
kev mc

Re: L82 silver white

by vwsplitbus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:41 pm
Yes Kev that is the correct colour, not sure what Ral code is. Have you had a look on thesamba.com?
vwsplitbus
SSVC Member

by kev mc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm
cheers.
done a search for the ral code and there seems to not be one, the ral code is a code they use in the uk mainly for powder coating, the guy asked me what colour they should be and mentioned ral code. i guess he will have to wet paint them and clear powder coat after. oh well at least they will be getting a coat of zink first.
kev mc

by vwsplitbus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:51 pm
When I had some powder coated they used RAL 9010 and they looked ok, thats as close as u can get I think with powder coat. (I may be wrong :wink: ) and the wheels were on a show winning bus.

Using the L82 paint is another option, but the finish is no where near as tough and long lasting as powdercoat.
vwsplitbus
SSVC Member

by Choc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:18 am
I too have had the same issue Kev with L82.

I may just go for a slightly off white & get the bumpers done to match.
Choc
SSVC Member

by Sweet Rides » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:30 am
L82 Silver White is correct for the wheels and the bumpers of your bus Kev.

I have always painted mine but a mate had his powdercoated and we took in one of my wheels to the powdercoaters so we could get a half decent colour match off the charts for him.

I can`t remember what the RAL code chosen was in the end but I have to say that the match was pretty good, not perfect but acceptable for a driver IMO and I would be happy using it myself if I was going down the powdercoating route.

NOTE - IF POWDERCOATING THE WHEELS BE SURE TO REMOVE EVERY LAST TRACE OF THE POWDERCOAT FROM THE WHEEL NUT SEATS BEFORE FITTING THE WHEELS TO THE BUS - OTHERWISE THEY WILL COME OFF 8O This Job is best done with a fresh stanley blade or similar :wink:
Sweet Rides

by BusBug&KG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Sweet Rides wrote:NOTE - IF POWDERCOATING THE WHEELS BE SURE TO REMOVE EVERY LAST TRACE OF THE POWDERCOAT FROM THE WHEEL NUT SEATS BEFORE FITTING THE WHEELS TO THE BUS - OTHERWISE THEY WILL COME OFF 8O This Job is best done with a fresh stanley blade or similar :wink:
GOOD CALL :!: :!: :!: :!: Also if painting
Tony C
BusBug&KG
SSVC Member

by kev mc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:38 pm
cheers guys, gone for the 9010. they are getting blasted today, and then zink coated then i have to get four clips and fit them before they powder coat em....., now where to get the clips from.....
kev mc

by Choc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:28 am
kev mc wrote:cheers guys, gone for the 9010. they are getting blasted today, and then zink coated then i have to get four clips and fit them before they powder coat em....., now where to get the clips from.....
If you find any clips can you let me know where from please?
Choc
SSVC Member

by kev mc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm
decided as i cant wait i am going to rob them of some 14" wheels that i have :roll:
kev mc

by vwsplitbus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 pm
I have a pack of quality clips and pins. Think I bought them from Schofields vw a couple of years back but never used them.
pm me if you are unable to get any, I can post them tomorrow.
vwsplitbus
SSVC Member

by dave409787 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 pm
A real dredge from the past, but was looking to paint my wheels, bumpers and front badge. Have already blasted them and etch coated them, was going to do a little filler work and then paint, but no space and weather is getting cold, so thinking about just powder coating the lot for speed, as need to get some tyres on them the next day ideally depending if they are hard enough :? ? . Did you go RAL 9010 in the end... how did they look colourwise?

Also, do they powder coat straight over the etch primer or strip it back again, and can they powder over light filler work? Did you need to prepare the clips for paint too? As i have brand new clips and bumper brackets to go on my already primed wheels. SOrry for all the questions on such an old thread, but it seemed the best place to put it. :D
dave409787

by vwgillybilly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm
dave409787 wrote:A real dredge from the past, but was looking to paint my wheels, bumpers and front badge. Have already blasted them and etch coated them, was going to do a little filler work and then paint, but no space and weather is getting cold, so thinking about just powder coating the lot for speed, as need to get some tyres on them the next day ideally depending if they are hard enough :? ? . Did you go RAL 9010 in the end... how did they look colourwise?

Also, do they powder coat straight over the etch primer or strip it back again, and can they powder over light filler work? Did you need to prepare the clips for paint too? As i have brand new clips and bumper brackets to go on my already primed wheels. SOrry for all the questions on such an old thread, but it seemed the best place to put it. :D
My mate has just spent over a week straightening my o.g bumpers, prepping my wheels and sorting the front badge. My local sand blasters / powder coater said the match, quality of finish & durability of powder coating isn't as good as 2k paint. So I ordered 2 litres of Spies Hecker L82 Silver White - I'm more than happy so far, he's done a right job!

Gill.
vwgillybilly

by dave409787 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:15 pm
I have heard that 2k is more hard wearing, although i'd think powder would be enough. The main reason is i want to get them painted, tyres on and on the bus within 2 days, as that is all the time i have with the bus. Powder is fully hard once it cools, also the weather and my facilities aren't ideal for 2k at the moment.
I have since read that i'd need to use a chemical metal to fill that can withstand 400degrees.
However, was there any other code for the L82 that was provided with your paint as so far every code i've found and used, my local paint shop can't identify.
Cheers
dave409787

by Choc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 pm
vwgillybilly wrote:
dave409787 wrote:A real dredge from the past, but was looking to paint my wheels, bumpers and front badge. Have already blasted them and etch coated them, was going to do a little filler work and then paint, but no space and weather is getting cold, so thinking about just powder coating the lot for speed, as need to get some tyres on them the next day ideally depending if they are hard enough :? ? . Did you go RAL 9010 in the end... how did they look colourwise?

Just spent two months (on & off) straightening my o.g bumpers, prepping my wheels and sorting the front badge. My local sand blasters / powder coater said the match, quality of finish & durability of powder coating isn't as good as 2k paint. So I ordered 2 litres of Spies Hecker L82 Silver White - I'm more than happy so far...

Gill.
Would be interested seeing the results as my wheels and bumpers need to go the same way. :D
Choc
SSVC Member