The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

57 front brakes More questions

57 front brakes More questions

by berpsta » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:37 pm
recently converted my 57 panel to a dual circuit master cylinder...not a moment too soon as one of the front wheel cylinders has begun to weep

...ive looked on all the sites german quality outta stock repro available but limited to side question is whats the difference between these wheel cylinders ie years available (55-63) or (63-70) do i need to fit like for like year for year or could i fit a later one???

busless at the mo so need to get sorted

Cheers

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

Re: 57 front brakes More questions

by chaser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 am
Early ones are expensive, but the pistons from the late ones fit I believe, if the bodies are saveable. I got mine from the club parts dept.
chaser

by vwsplitbus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:17 pm
Hi Sean, Give Schofields a call, they have good quality repro in stock. I got mine there. They also have genuine german.

or a rebuild kit from Karmann Konnection.

U will be back on the road in no time :D
vwsplitbus
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 pm
vwsplitbus wrote:Hi Sean, Give Schofields a call, they have good quality repro in stock. I got mine there. They also have genuine german.

or a rebuild kit from Karmann Konnection.

U will be back on the road in no time :D

ordered some repro ones from heritage will look into a rebuild kit though

cheers for the heads up

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 pm
Ok my made in taiwan repro wheel cylinders where waiting for me when I got home cool beans I'm thinking get em put on at the weekend :) then I looked at them looked at the pictures looked at them again looked at the pictures

Having ordered right hand side wheel cylinders as it the right hand side front wheel that faulty in a LHD bus have I missed something here!!!!!

Could I just turn these wheel cylinders the other way round so the pistons push to the front as apposed to the rear?
Or are my plans for the weekend scuppered

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by chaser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:43 pm
They must be handed for a reason, maybe the shoes will grab if they are pushing out from the wrong direction.
chaser

by berpsta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 pm
well still havent got much further with the just a bit more confused really and done a bit more research which has probably confused more heres what ive found

so did some more investigation today put hub and wheel back on today and moved van so i could get to the other wheel
removed the hub and this is what i found

comparing this to pictures in a owners workshop manual

which is where i get the idea from that the backing plates slave cylinders are all wrong and on the wrong side

but looking closer the things that are puzzling me are the angle of the pressing on the backing plate and the locations where a left hand wheel cylinder will sit

compare it with the postion in the workshop manual
could this swap of sides relate to the way the spindles have been put together???
wouldnt have thought these are stock so does this mean i should rip up the rule book (owners manual in this case)??????

if i do need to swap the left hand side brake parts to the right hand side and vice versa i have to remove these bits (marked red)
this needs to come off so i can remove the backing plate they are on really really tight can it be reused?? it looks like the inner hub bearing sits up against it
any help/info would be grateful as i could do with getting anymore bits i need ordered as i really need to get it sorted this weekend as the 3 weekends that are pretty chocker and include use of the van

cheers in advance
Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 pm
Yes you use a puller to remove that grease seal race. Then reuse it.

Yes the inner bearing sits up to it when installed. Your grease seals you mention are probably the OG style, felt inner surface to run on the race in a metal body. Modern versions are rubber, like an oil seal in looks.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by 67USA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm
looks to me like your backing plates are the wrong, LHS on RHS and RHS on LHS?

or am i reading this wrong?
67USA
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm
67USA wrote:looks to me like your backing plates are the wrong, LHS on RHS and RHS on LHS?

or am i reading this wrong?
Your not wrong fella hopefully on with fixing it this weekend

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member